Fuel leak... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak...

PhantomLover007
05-27-2011, 01:09 AM
I was heading to my folks place in Columbus GA tonight and I filled up the GA at a gas station off of I-16 and GA 119 at Exit 127. Somewhere along I-16, I heard a pop and thought it may have been a tire hitting a small pot hole in the road. Around Dublin, GA I noticed the fuel gauge was a good bit lower than it should be, so I kept an eye on it. By the time I got off I-16 at Exit 27, I was between 1/2 and 1/4 tank. I luckily made it to the parking lot of Waterford Golf Club in Bonaire, GA when the GA nearly shut down.

Total distance..... 130miles.

I'm figuring one of the injector gaskets went. IDK yet. We'll see what the damage is when the shop checks it out tomorrow morning.

By the grace of God NOTHING caught fire. Luckily, it was raining most of the way and the scoops on the hood were open.

PhantomLover007
05-27-2011, 09:33 AM
OK. Had 2 o-rings that were bad and squirting fuel onto the intake. The shop is replacing all of them. Should be finished by 1300.

Grand total.. $550.. sheesh.

I should have had Aaron install the injectors and the s/c instead of having a guy that I knew who supposedly knew what he was doing because he had work on some other peoples cars who were in the same car club as him and I.

Hell.. Aaron had to fix the plumbing on the s/c when I took the GA down for him to tune it after the injectors were installed.

rocketfast123
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
That sucks but it's not that much work to install injectors.

sugar ray
05-27-2011, 02:16 PM
The "O" rings around the injectors that mate with the intake? Or the O ring from the inlet fuel line?

Either way......$550 sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaay to steep for that job!! Even if you are replacing ALL the injectors (which it doesn't seem like you need to) $550 is too much for that!!

Just my opinion and probably the opinion of most members on this board??

PhantomLover007
05-27-2011, 09:28 PM
It was the fact that NONE of the injectors had the necessary mod so the GA fuel rail clips could secure them to the fuel rail tightly. The guy that put them in for me after I remove them from Michael's car didn't do anything but pop them in.

I called the guy that intalled them in Michael's GA and he said that they probably doubled up the gaskets to keep everything tight and leak free or used thin wire to secure the injectors to the rail.

I got to my folk's place after the shop did a "jerry rig" so that a small wire clip would keep the injectors from dropping out of the fuel rail (Sort of a counter push) and I had a leak from the bad brivers side injector.

I'm going to do the mod needed to make the clips work w/ the 36# injectors tomorrow.

PhantomLover007
05-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Mod to the injectors worked like a charm.. Primed the pump.................................. and had fuel squirting out of the main fuel line that runs into the fuel rail. Some how the o-ring for the connector came up missing... Replaced the o-ring and all my fuel issues were fixed. And then came an issue w/ the wiring harness going to the AIT, MAF, etc... etc.

Had to rewire everything because the same guy that did all the work for me swapping the s/c and the injectors from Michael's car to mine did a very crappy job. He clipped some of the ends too short, just twisted the wires together to make each connection (because he had to lengthen some of the wires for the relocation of some of the parts) and then taped over them. Worst of all.... HE USED SPEAKER WIRE FOR THE EXTENSIONS!!!!

UGH!!!!

I got all the 18 gauge colored wire Auto Zone had and a pack of the barrel connectors and reworked everythng from each electrical connector the right way. Tomorrow morning I will cut the new wires to the right length needed and connect them to the wiring harness

I should have done all of this myself before and I wouldn't have had any issues like I am now... ;crap

G.I.Ceo
05-28-2011, 11:35 PM
That's some crap. This is the reason why I do all my own work even though it takes a little more time to get it done. I have had to many bad experiences with others doing work for me then having to go back and redo it. Well hopefully its all done and nothing else pops up.

PhantomLover007
05-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Yep. Lesson learned. To have it done right, do it yourself or call Aaron... lol lol

He's been helping me alot.

G.I.Ceo
05-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah Aaron seems like a really cool guy and he knows a ton of stuff too.

It's always nice to have someone that can help you out that really knows what they are doing.

A lot of people say they do until it's time to get to it.

AaronGTR
05-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I've seen the old "twist together" wire thing too many times, and it never works. That really is some BS, I'd totally cuss that guy out next time I see him. You've had nothing but problems since he did the install.

Even using crimp connections isn't the best way to do it, but it's at least functional and they won't pull apart easily. When I have to splice wires for sensor connections I put heat shrink tubing over the wire first, then twist them together and solder them with a butane torch, then slide the heat shrink over the solder joint and shrink it with the torch. Makes a 100% positive connection that is water proof and won't come apart. :)