Tune Up for Ecotec? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tune Up for Ecotec?

Stevo
05-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Hey Everyone, so i have the Ecotec in my 05 GA. My mpg is declining so im looking to do a tuneup because as far as my knowledge goes is that the only required maintence for the Eco is an oil change and air filter as the rest isnt serviceable as it doesnt use spark plug wires and what not. So I have planned for next weekend is to change the oil, air filter , spark plugs, and fuel filter as those are up for replacement. Is there anything else small i can as a tune up? Thanks everyone.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-29-2011, 06:01 PM
No spark plugs? lol

The L61 has a single coil pack that powers all four plugs. Removal is simple, just undo all the bolts holding the coil to the valve cover, unplug the harness on the right side, then pry up the coil pack.

The Ecotec takes well to NGK Iridiums, or AC Delco Iridiums.

Stevo
05-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Lol Wires were supposed to be behind that my bad its been a long day and thanks, when it comes to fuel filters do brands matter?

[ChaosweaveR]
05-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Lol Wires were supposed to be behind that my bad its been a long day and thanks, when it comes to fuel filters do brands matter?

Ah, I see.

Meh, those are all the same.

Stevo
05-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Ok thanks and yeah I worked a night shift last night at my first job till 7 this morning then worked from 10 to 5 at my other job so im pretty burned out lol, so Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs and Oil Change. When it comes to stock intakes, would a K&N really do anything or should i just go ahead and look for an aftermarket CAI kit?

[ChaosweaveR]
05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Ok thanks and yeah I worked a night shift last night at my first job till 7 this morning then worked from 10 to 5 at my other job so im pretty burned out lol, so Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Spark Plugs and Oil Change. When it comes to stock intakes, would a K&N really do anything or should i just go ahead and look for an aftermarket CAI kit?

The the stock intake sucks. Cosmo Racing makes an excellent short ram intake for $90. I installed one on a friend's L61 GA, fairly straightforward install.

Malaclypse
05-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Don't forget some seafoam in the in the tank. Also maybe a decarbon by running some of that seafoam through a vacuum line. Read up on that part though.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Don't forget some seafoam in the in the tank. Also maybe a decarbon by running some of that seafoam through a vacuum line. Read up on that part though.

Works better in the vacuum system. But the plugs will need to be changed afterwards.

Stevo
05-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Checked out the plugs, 3 were either under or over gap requirements but not that bad and one was in terrible shape and yes they were the factory one so they were long overdue so they are probably the culprits of the loss of mpg. With the addition of the new fuel filter this week, plugs and oil change i think itll be just fine. And i seafoamed it about 4 months ago.

Malaclypse
05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
;1158083']Works better in the vacuum system. But the plugs will need to be changed afterwards.

Yes, but if you put some in the fuel tank it'll clean out the injectors as well.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Remember, use either NGK or AC Delco Iridium plugs.