Stupid mistake [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid mistake

icecats87
05-29-2011, 08:02 PM
I went out today to take off the stock oil pressure switch temperately while i wait for other things to install my oil pressure gauge and temp. so for now i have my oil pressure sender in the oil pressure switch(here comes the stupidity)

as i was under the car i went to reach for the oil pressure switch with a wrench and accidentally hit the starter and it sparked and the starter spun a bit. Right after this i went to start the car and it starts fine. after installing the gauge i test drove the car everything was fine. i went back home to adjust some wiring things, i went to drive it once more and now the tranny doesn't even shift into first and when i got WOT it slips major, did i mess something up really bad? any advice would be greatly appreciated

cutlsp
05-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Filled the transmission a little more since you added the transmission cooler? Thats what I would be looking at and checking to see if those lines leak at all.

icecats87
05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Filled the transmission a little more since you added the transmission cooler? Thats what I would be looking at and checking to see if those lines leak at all.

i added a quart of fluid already all connections are good ive checked everyday tranny was fine all week and all day until i hit the starter

AaronGTR
05-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't see why that would affect the transmission at all. I once had a car with a bad starter soleniod that I had to start like that all the time. lol Turned the key on and jumped the starter with a screw driver between the posts. Anything is possible though I suppose. It could be that having the pressure switch unplugged could be causing it, because the signal does go to the PCM first. Who knows? First thing I would do is put a proper T fitting in so you have both the gauge sender and pressure switch installed. Then see if the trans still isn't working right. And check the trans fluid level. But anyway, this is why they tell you to disconnect the battery when working on the car. ;)

icecats87
05-29-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't see why that would affect the transmission at all. I once had a car with a bad starter soleniod that I had to start like that all the time. lol Turned the key on and jumped the starter with a screw driver between the posts. Anything is possible though I suppose. It could be that having the pressure switch unplugged could be causing it, because the signal does go to the PCM first. Who knows? First thing I would do is put a proper T fitting in so you have both the gauge sender and pressure switch installed. Then see if the trans still isn't working right. And check the trans fluid level. But anyway, this is why they tell you to disconnect the battery when working on the car. ;)

Yeah i usually do but like i said stupid mistake, and even though i have the gauge sender in there before when the stock switch was in the the wire wasnt even plugged in. it got ripped out awhile back and i just never fixed it, so im not sure if it would cause anything i just have no clue its weird because after i put the gauge sender in and drove the car it was fine, shifted fine drove fine but the gauge wasnt working, went home re did the sender wire and gauge worked but thats when the tranny started acting up, in 3 days im ordering the oil filter relocation kit and getting T-fittings and everything for oil temp and pressure, also getting a new connector for stock oil switch