Please help!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!!

cwolfenberger1
06-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Hey everyone,
so I was driving along last night when I hit a small pothole. Suddenly I heard a squeel and the power steering went out (mostly, it still worked a little bit) so I finished driving home (2 minutes at the most, mostly straight) and took a look. It looks like the power steering pulley*?* is flush up against the upper / top engine mount *?* not sure if those part names are correct so here are a couple pictures. All feedback is appreciated!!!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Gs8YaC_pVuo/TeYwofGAHII/AAAAAAAAAIM/s2U3qvC7Fvc/s800/2011-06-01_08-12-28_740.jpg
as you can see, it looks like the engine is resting on it... so obviously something broke, but I don't know what! is it the upper or lower engine mount that broke? maybe something else?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DxwEIvp8Bx4/TeYuIBhYD-I/AAAAAAAAAH8/LixeD3GunsI/s800/2011-06-01_08-12-01_803.jpg

[ChaosweaveR]
06-01-2011, 07:54 AM
What side did you hit? And don't BS, it obviously wasn't a "small" pothole if you managed to shift the whole damn motor. lol

IIRC, there's another mount on the transmission, maybe that shifted.

An easy way I see if you have busted mounts, turn the car on (with the hood up, and someone else off to the side to see what the engine does) put it in drive, and hold the brake and hit the gas. It'll be obvious if there's bad mounts from excessive play with the engine rocking back and forth.

cwolfenberger1
06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
There have been bumps hit throughout the spring... This one was a small bump, but apparently just large enough to push it over the edge.

Thanks, I'll check near the transmission and see if I can see anything

street_fire
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
this is why i drive around hols in the road lol but i do think the tranny mount slid over

FromTheInside
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Do exactly as ChaosWeaver mentioned. I am not sure how familiar you are with the engine but there are 3 mounts:

1. In the driver's side of the engine bay a little to the right of the exhaust manifold if you are looking under the hood, it will be in front of the transmission.

2. The big one is behind the driver's wheel well. You can see it if you look from behind the tire.

3. And one on the rear crossmember of the front subframe near the steering rack in the center.

It appears you will need a new power steering pulley. The shaft doesn't look screwed up (and you would have pissed fluid everywhere anyway if the shaft was ruined). Support that engine/transmission to get the weight off the steering pump.

Check the condition of the upper engine mount (right at the steering pump) first before wasting your time on the others. It is very odd and it seems like that if one of the transmission mounts went the angle would be different. Check where the upper engine mount bolts to the bracket that is bolted to the timing cover under the steering pump.

FromTheInside
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Now I am thinking that it is the pulley alone. Loosen the belt and move it out of the way and take the power steering pulley in your hand. Straighten it out and check the clearance on it. There should be around 3/8 of an inch or so between the mount and the pulley. Your mounts may be very worn and allowed excessive play in the engine/transmission assembly which caused the power steering pump to slam into the upper mount bracket braking it. Replace the pulley and check for worn mounts as ChaosWeaver stated and then look around the car at the mounts mentioned in my last post.

Malaclypse
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Now I am thinking that it is the pulley alone. Loosen the belt and move it out of the way and take the power steering pulley in your hand. Straighten it out and check the clearance on it.

^That. If you check the relation of the PS pulley to the rest of them it seems to be tilted in towards the power steering resevoir. Also it looks like there's a circular break around the hub of the pulley itself.

Take the belt off and I'd bet the power steering pulley just falls off.

MAC the KNIFE
06-02-2011, 05:06 AM
put a foot long piece of 4x4 under the oil pan and you can jack the motor up several inches, no problem, assuming you have stock motor mounts.

cwolfenberger1
06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Yup, it was the pulley. Got it replaced and everything is just perfect! Thanks for the input everyone.

FromTheInside
06-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Very good; I am glad you have it figured out and can move on from it.

Good luck.