exhaust leak? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : exhaust leak?

icecats87
06-05-2011, 02:03 PM
So about 2 weeks ago i washed my car , then i went to drive it after and herd a clicking, flattering noise coming from back of engine bay, its loud and annoying, also if you put your head in the back you can smell exhaust fumes. i know that couple years ago while doing head gasket my uncle snapped 1 of the header studs out, but it was just at the tip where it was still nice and tight in there. i took the rear exhaust cover off and noticed that one stud was missing. i went to work ordered a stud (what i thought was a header stud, but is for the down pipe) and went to thread it in but somehow the stud in before had broken off as well. would this cause an exhaust leak and the sound from it?

plastic_indian
06-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I can't tell what that picture is supposed to indicate, but any missing hardware attaching a cast iron exhaust manifold to a head will ultimately cause an exhaust leak. Subjected to repeated heating/cooling cycles, unfastened manifolds will tend to curl up over time and pull away from the head. Extract the broken off stud and replace with new. If the manifold no longer aligns with the studs, replace. If it still lines up, mill the manifold to correct flatness issues; if severely warped, replace.

icecats87
06-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I can't tell what that picture is supposed to indicate, but any missing hardware attaching a cast iron exhaust manifold to a head will ultimately cause an exhaust leak. Subjected to repeated heating/cooling cycles, unfastened manifolds will tend to curl up over time and pull away from the head. Extract the broken off stud and replace with new. If the manifold no longer aligns with the studs, replace. If it still lines up, mill the manifold to correct flatness issues; if severely warped, replace.

pictures trying to show there isnt a stud sticking out, seems like the stud broke off about an inch inside the header, whats the best way to get it out?

plastic_indian
06-05-2011, 09:47 PM
pictures trying to show there isnt a stud sticking out, seems like the stud broke off about an inch inside the header, whats the best way to get it out?

Remove the manifold for access. If you're lucky, there's enough sticking out of the head casting to heat and grasp with locking pliers. If broken off flush, use a lefthanded drill bit with a pneumatic angle drill and try to get it straight. No soap? Pull the head and send it to a machine shop, then pay the (exorbitant) bill.

icecats87
06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
so just take the nut off all studs, disconnect down pipe slid manis off and try getting the studs that are broken out? its weird cause ive had a broken stud for 2 years and no problems but this one is causing a leak

FutureDC_FLY_GT
04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
hi, how did it all work out for your? I am having a similar issue as far as the clicking noise & exhaust leak.