Spring questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Spring questions

icecats87
06-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Im thinking of getting lowering springs, but ive read they wont do well on stock struts and you'll need to replace them. if i got napas best brand of struts would that work out? or would i need after market like kyb or something?

Shade2012
06-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I would stick with KYB Gr-2's or adjustable struts, thats what most people use and like personally. Napa sells Monroe though, at least mine in town does, and I havent heard that many great things about Monroe Struts, but thats just me. I would just get some GR-2's that way you know they will work.

FuriousG
06-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Depends on what you're going for. Either way, you'll want new struts since putting lowered springs on old struts will only accelerate how quickly the stock ones will wear out. Replace them both at the same time since they will already be off the car otherwise you'll just be taking them off again when the struts go bad.

As for whether you need "sport" struts or OEM replacements, it's up to you. If you plan to drive it like a normal daily driver that just looks good with lowering springs, you might as well save you money and buy OEM replacements. If you want an increase in performance (albeit, a small increase) then spend the money for the adjustable struts.

In my case, I went with some plain old Autozone OEM struts since I don't have the money (or know-how) to do all the other suspension upgrades that would make "sport" struts worthwhile. I've had my Eibach springs with OEM struts on for over a year now (or is it over two years?) and I haven't had any problems.

FuriousG
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Seriously though, considering your previous thread where you said you were planning on getting a Mustang I don't know why you are still blowing money on the Grand Am. I love my GAGT but if I knew I was buying something else within another year, I'd throw that money in the bank and save it to buy upgrades for my future car.

icecats87
06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Seriously though, considering your previous thread where you said you were planning on getting a Mustang I don't know why you are still blowing money on the Grand Am. I love my GAGT but if I knew I was buying something else within another year, I'd throw that money in the bank and save it to buy upgrades for my future car.

I made a thread on what happened, and i was gonna get it at the end of the summer but things came up, and im going to keep my GA till im done with school. the cars a daily driver, i usually don't do any hard driving around corners, i just like to go to the track, i can get 4 struts both front and rear for $230 bucks and since you said you've had your over a year that will give me a good amount of time before i would consider getting kybs

FuriousG
06-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I must have missed that thread about the Mustang deal falling through. Sorry to hear about that since you sounded excited about it.

You shouldn't have any problems with OEM struts. I have been driving my '03 (lowered) and my '99 (stock springs) and I can assure you that you'll still feel a difference even with OEM struts. The '99 feels like a boat through corners while the '03 is tight. Of course, the '03 also has 18" rims too while the '99 has stock 15"s I think. You will feel the bumps more but in my opinion, that's a good thing since I prefer to feel like I'm hugging the road rather than floating over it.

icecats87
06-10-2011, 01:11 PM
I must have missed that thread about the Mustang deal falling through. Sorry to hear about that since you sounded excited about it.

You shouldn't have any problems with OEM struts. I have been driving my '03 (lowered) and my '99 (stock springs) and I can assure you that you'll still feel a difference even with OEM struts. The '99 feels like a boat through corners while the '03 is tight. Of course, the '03 also has 18" rims too while the '99 has stock 15"s I think. You will feel the bumps more but in my opinion, that's a good thing since I prefer to feel like I'm hugging the road rather than floating over it.

yeah i was excited for it, even test drove some and then some school stuff came up, transferring schools blah blah blah, plus the GA isnt even paid off yet, and i like the car ive put alot of work into it. Now im gonna do more work and make it last till im done with school, 3-5 years

icecats87
06-10-2011, 01:17 PM
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=NS_71672_0117641311&An=599001+102001+50060+2060014

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=NS_71686_0117641312&An=599001+102001+50060+2060014

These are the 2 im going to get

Jmoney3318
06-10-2011, 02:20 PM
I've been through KYB's Struts with KY Strut Mounts with Intrax Springs, had a strut mount go out on me about a month ago, decided to replace all four struts again only becasue i had about 50-65,000 miles on the KYB and i needed a weekend project. i tried a brand called Gabriel only because i got a great deal on all 4, so i replaced all the KYBs with Gabriels and to be Honest i wouldnt switch back to KYBs. Alot of people lean more towards KYBs but to be honest i think it is the name that gets them brought up here more often so than other brands. Dont get me wrong if i had the money to dish out id buy the adjustable KYBs but the gr-2s i think are comparable to many of the competitors. Just my 2 Cents.

icecats87
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Im gonna just look into it more, i could get some kybs and special order them from napa but its a pain, im going to call though and get prices on everything. i might just get the struts we have in stock though

5-lO
06-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Looking through the replies on here this is one missing point:

OEM struts will go out (break down) faster than a "sport" strut with lowering springs. I ran Intrax springs on my 03 GAGT and blew the stuck struts after about 30k miles. The issue is the stock struts werent designed for the smaller amount of travel that aftermarket springs have and eventually you will wear out the cylinders and they will begin to leak.

While you do not need to go adustable, especially if you're going more for looks than anything, you should replace to an aftermarket strut designed for aftermarket springs. They are built to handle both OEM spring travel as well as lowered spring travel.

I do not know if KONI makes struts for the GAGT, but if so that is the best route to go. They (at least for my Mazda) offer a lifetime warranty and are designed to work better with less travel. In addition a "sport" strut will also do a better job of dampening the springs than the OEM's will. You will get a noticeable amount of "float" with OEM struts. If you hit a dip you will notice the car will "bounce", think old cadillac suspension, because it doesnt have good enough dampening force.

I have pretty aggressive (2.75" drop) aftermarket springs on my Mazda 3, with OEM struts/shocks and I get more float than desired. Next year Ill be switching to Koni's to reduce the bounce, and I will probably have blown the stock struts with that aggressive of a drop anyway.

Thats my $.02

icecats87
06-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah im gonna get kybs the g2rs i think, gotta call monday morning when i get to work i can get a pair for around $80 bucks (just found out after i posted this) and ill get them in a day or 2, also the springs ima order threw napa with our special order place and its $260 total and ill get them the day after i order them

5-lO
06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah im gonna get kybs the g2rs i think, gotta call monday morning when i get to work i can get a pair for around $80 bucks (just found out after i posted this) and ill get them in a day or 2, also the springs ima order threw napa with our special order place and its $260 total and ill get them the day after i order them

80 for the pair???? Thats crazy cheap.... Ill be looking at about $550 for all four corners on the 3...

icecats87
06-11-2011, 10:50 AM
80 for the pair???? Thats crazy cheap.... Ill be looking at about $550 for all four corners on the 3...

online i can get all 4 for around 230 and shipping would be 50 bucks, but with my discount at napa ill get them mad cheap plus there is no shipping and ill get them shuttled to the store i work at ina day

AaronGTR
06-11-2011, 01:52 PM
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=NS_71672_0117641311&An=599001+102001+50060+2060014

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=NS_71686_0117641312&An=599001+102001+50060+2060014

These are the 2 im going to get

Those are just regular monroe struts. They are fine for an oem application but are not designed for stiffer springs. I'd go with the KYB GR-2's or the AGX's if you can swing it.

Looking through the replies on here this is one missing point:

OEM struts will go out (break down) faster than a "sport" strut with lowering springs. I ran Intrax springs on my 03 GAGT and blew the stuck struts after about 30k miles. The issue is the stock struts werent designed for the smaller amount of travel that aftermarket springs have and eventually you will wear out the cylinders and they will begin to leak.

While you do not need to go adustable, especially if you're going more for looks than anything, you should replace to an aftermarket strut designed for aftermarket springs. They are built to handle both OEM spring travel as well as lowered spring travel.

We know about this. No one makes them for the grand am though. ;) The only way we can get shortened struts is custom which = $$$. Even the AGX's are designed for stock ride height. They are just better for the lowering springs because we can adjust the dampening to suit the stiffer spring rate.

Basically, people have had issues with the KYB mounts for some reason so I would stay away from those. Stock ones are probably your best bet. For struts though, GR-2's or AGX's will last longer than any of the other "oem" type replacements.