Supercharged 2.2l Eco. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged 2.2l Eco.

Stevo
06-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey everyone, I plan on boosting up my grand am, Ive read and done research but will continue to do more till im 100%. My plan is to supercharge it, yes, but im not looking to make a huge amount of HP gain simply looking to make my car more unique and a little faster. My engine is stock, plan on keeping it that way, I know ill need a performance intake and a new exhaust, simple but is there any other small upgrades i should do? Also something about i know the m62 for the cobalt will work, but i read the throttle is different between the cobalt and the grand am correct?, ones drive by wire and the other is ? so is it possible to make that work? Thanks everyone

SC/T02
06-13-2011, 12:09 AM
I was not sure about the differences in TB between the two. Maybe the size of the throttle body is different. My wife has a G5, and I have never paid attention to it being drive by wire or electronic TB.

I figure you will need a local shop to tune the vehicle also because the ECM will not be flashed for the SC setup. Otherwise, I think you are on the money and most everything else is plug and play for the most part (with some work)

Stevo
06-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Ok sounds good, time to put together a parts list. Thanks

AleroB888
06-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Do whatever this guy does:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33808

WidbyJ
06-13-2011, 09:38 AM
I suggest getting the full GMPP s/c kit for the ecotec cobalt and then using what you can from it... You should be able to use almost all of the brackets, hoses, belt, etc... and retain the current throttle-body. Tuning will be the main issue, I recommend finding a reputeable experienced tuner before installing anything. You may be able to use an alternative ECM, like I did, to allow for use of the basic GM tune - the manual for the kit will detail all the options (i.e. 2.4L kit works with Alero ECM so that is what runs my Malibu).

Good luck! I have more answers if you have more questions...

Stevo
06-13-2011, 12:33 PM
What about this, i know some of the stuff i cant use but is that a good price for what i can use?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eaton-M62-SUPERCHARGER-kit-Cobalt-G5-ION-LK9-LSJ-ecotec-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a66eab73bQQitemZ25083 4761531QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

WidbyJ
06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Most of it should fit right on. Looks like a good price, unless the blower is worn. Will need to change the blower gear oil for sure. Ask them why it's available, was the car wrecked or what? Definitely better than the 3G or so for a new setup.....