Ignition switch changed but probs. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch changed but probs.

robt
06-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Ignition switch went bad and got a new one, how do i go about setting it up to work with my car? the switch works but cant turn the motor over, i heard you have to do something so itll read the car and then turn over?

FromTheInside
06-17-2011, 09:31 AM
After you put the new key in correctly you have to leave it for ten minutes in the run position. Did you do this?

robt
06-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes, just tried it again, but dont turn over.

MMGT1
06-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Car will turn over even if the passlock system activates, just wont deliver fuel. Not turning over, I would suspect that a wire has been damaged. I would say you need to check the wiring going to and coming from the ign cylinder to make sure there is an active signal. Ohms tester is your friend! Did you pop a fuse maybe??

robt
06-21-2011, 08:09 AM
What do u mean by ohms, yes I got a multi reader.

3800SII
06-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Does the dash light up? Does the security icon flash? Are you saying that the starter will engage and the motor will turn over, but it will not run? Need more specifics in your problem.... Usually when you replace the actual ignition key switch you have to follow the relearn procedure exactly as instructed.

If the car still will not start then you may have a shot BCM or bad fuel pump. Both of these have happened to me twice :angel

robt
06-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Yea gauges work, yea security, I am trying to relearn the 1 i got , but when im spose to turn the key over to turn the motor, theres nothing.

3800SII
06-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Yea gauges work, yea security, I am trying to relearn the 1 i got , but when im spose to turn the key over to turn the motor, theres nothing.

Was the starter engaging before the ignition switch was changed? If it was then you still making an error with the relearn procedure. If you are not sure then jack up the car and tap the starter with a hammer and see if it cranks. Double check your battery and starter wires too... Also, did you connect the security wires to the the switch too?

I am going to lean on the side of your relearn procedure or a bad BCM. Two years ago my GT did the exact same thing and I replaced the starter thinking it had gone bad. It still did the exact same thing you described. I left the key in the ACC POSITION for ten minutes and then turned it all the way back to the left and then back to run and the car cranked right up ;crap

I wasted $150 for the starter when it was only a bad BCM. My ignition switch was only a few months old as well.

robt
06-22-2011, 01:22 PM
I pulled it out and looked at the wires but got it back in and still dont crank over. It did work before but dont wanna turn when I get to that step of the relearn.

robt
06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I got it to start up, my prob was i thought it'd have to turn over when u tryed the 1st time but cranked right over and on the 2nd time. Thanx for all the help.....

robt
06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Well great, it turned on about 5-6 times and now it wont turn over. I pulled it out to make sure I didnt pull any wires when I put the gauges in but seem fine. I tried to relearn it again but the security wont flash that you have to wait 10 mins for? Now what coulda been the prob?