wont start or idle unless givin gas. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wont start or idle unless givin gas.

SevereDevil
06-22-2011, 07:50 PM
i try to start my car and it just turns over and turns over and wants to start but wont unless i give it some gas. then it wont idle unless im always giving it gas. i slowly let off the petal and it goes to 500rpms and soon as i let off it dies. its getting fuel and spark, could it be a broken spark plug? just happened over night.

stewartfn18
06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
sounds like a bad IAC valve

SevereDevil
06-24-2011, 08:43 PM
sounds like a bad IAC valve

thats what i thought. but i replaced it in florida in march because i thought its what was causeing my rough idle. which btw was a loose a intake bolt. dumbass me couldnt find... took me 300bucks into new parts replacing map, maf, iac, hose behind coil and few other. was just a loose bolt in intake manifold lol... but now with only like 5k miles on that new IAC wont idle unless given gas. will take an iac out of my dads n put it in just to rule out for sure.

MKEGuy
06-25-2011, 06:48 PM
On a healthy engine you could take off all three front spark plug boots and the thing would still run. All though it wouldn't be the happiest of motors, it would still idle without giving it gas. So I doubt that is your issue.

Get it scanned for sure. Even if the check money light (SES) isn't on, you could still have a code or two in there that could help you out. Swapping that IAC isn't a bad idea just to rule it out. Have you verified that you dont have any other vacuum leaks? If you have unmetered air coming in that could definitely cause the symptoms you are talking about. (speaking from experience on that one unfortunately lol)

WidbyJ
06-25-2011, 08:24 PM
I'd be looking at the MAF sensor. It couldn't hurt to clean it and make sure it's fully connected.

- Just my 2 cents, I have a 2.4L...

SevereDevil
06-26-2011, 10:21 AM
On a healthy engine you could take off all three front spark plug boots and the thing would still run. All though it wouldn't be the happiest of motors, it would still idle without giving it gas. So I doubt that is your issue.

Get it scanned for sure. Even if the check money light (SES) isn't on, you could still have a code or two in there that could help you out. Swapping that IAC isn't a bad idea just to rule it out. Have you verified that you dont have any other vacuum leaks? If you have unmetered air coming in that could definitely cause the symptoms you are talking about. (speaking from experience on that one unfortunately lol)
i def should relook at the hoses because i put alot of money into new parts when it turned out to b a hose before.
I'd be looking at the MAF sensor. It couldn't hurt to clean it and make sure it's fully connected.

- Just my 2 cents, I have a 2.4L...
i replaced the maf and map sensor 2 months ago while i was having an idle issue. which turned out to be only a hose. lol