Ive got a power issue, no start/acceseries [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ive got a power issue, no start/acceseries

dsm'er
06-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey guys, i've got an issue that im not to sure where to start on with my 2000 grand am gt.

I was driving on the highway and turned on the AC and the car lost all power, nothing came on at all. I figured it was the alternator because when I had it towed home the battery was dead. I couldn't boost it on the side of the road and it was my only option. So after changing the alternator and charging up the battery it still wont turn over or anything. once i put the key in the lights flicker a bit but no accessories work at all. Sometimes the trunk will open and ill usually hear a series of clicking noises coming from under the dash. The car will start when boosted with cables, but even with a full charge, nothing inside will work.

I'm pretty lost for ideas right now and am pissed off at spending 240 on a new alternator( i need to go back to work tomorow, which is about 300km away and i couldn't find anything cheaper)

If you guys have some ideas i can check i would be great full.

Pauljp
06-25-2011, 07:18 AM
If your car starts fine with a boost, but will not turn over on it's own, then it has to be a bad battery.
Also, random trunk openings are usually caused by a bad battery as well.
I would concentrate on the battery.
Also inspect the battery cables.

juanvan
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
grounds check them all clean them if need be.
Check the wires to the battery - these get corroded in side the rubbers and you never see it.