99 GT just won't start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GT just won't start

FasGP
07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey all...new to the forum...been stuck behind the wheel of many a GP for the last 8 years...just picked up a nice fire red 99 GT Coupe...

All was going fine, until yesterday I started it up, and was letting it run to burn off some of the bad gas left in the tank, since it had been sitting for a year or so. I have done this a few times in the last week, and had no problems. Today, for the first time, the temp kept climbing, the fans did not turn on even after the 231 temp had been reached, so I shut it off. After about 5 mins, I tried to restart it, and it turned over like a weak battery, then it would not turn over at all. Now it won't even click.

Battery is new, and shows proper voltage. I did the alternator test disconnecting the positive earlier in the week, so the alternator is good. I took the connections off the starter, cleaned terminals, and still nothing. Do you think I have a bad starter coil? Is this a common issue?

Any advice is greatly appreciated...this car is starting to grow on me....

FasGP
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Whoa, 40 ppl checking in and no replies. Thanks for the support to a new GAGT owner.

Anyone have any thoughts at all? Searching nets a very mixed bag of results.

MAC the KNIFE
07-06-2011, 04:12 AM
...just picked up a nice fire red 99 GT Coupe...

in '99, the RPO for red was "bright red," not fire. hope that helps.
welcome to the site.

j/k. lol wait for the others to chime in. we've got a lot of experience on the forum.

street_fire
07-06-2011, 09:14 AM
check fuses