Coolant level sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant level sensor

FuriousG
07-06-2011, 03:34 PM
First, some backstory:
I pulled an '99 GA out of the junkyard that seemingly had no engine/transmission problems other than the neglect of sitting in a junkyard for 6-8 months. A few weeks ago, I replaced the thermostat since it often overheated while driving. When that didn't fix the problem I then replaced the coolant cap and when that failed I replaced the whole coolant tank and a new cap. Finally the car manages to keep it's temperatures within the acceptable range. I still have a small coolant leak next to the thermostat but I suspect it's a loose bolt and will be addressing that within the next few days.

The problem I have now is that the low coolant light on the dash keeps coming on randomly while driving (often when taking a corner or going up/down a hill.) This did not happen prior to the tank being replaced. I first thought that my slow leak next to the thermostat must have drained enough fluid to set off the light but when I check the fluid level in the tank, everything looks fine. Whether the car is hot or cold, the coolant comes up to the full line. If I drive it around I will inevitably get the light and it will turn itself on/off randomly.

I'm assuming it's a faulty sensor but I wanted a second opinion before I replace the coolant tank again. Is there any way to check the sensor or to verify that the sensor is indeed the problem prior to ripping it out of the car? I've checked my Haynes manual but it does not address anything concerning the sensor itself.

Shade2012
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
I replaced my sensor when this happened to me, its only like $12 so it wouldnt hurt to change it. It would rule one thing out. Then I put stop leak in my coolant, and it fixed everything. I may have just been lucky though.

sugar ray
07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I would top the DEX cool up. Drive it for a bit and see if the light returns. If it does return and the sensor wasn't the issue you may be losing coolant slowly and internally like many of us on this board have suffered. The dreaded LIM gasket. If your handy with a wrench the LIM isn't too bad to change

HOYS
07-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Tap the sensor a bit.

If that does not fix it, un-plug it. Done.