ignition cylinder locking up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ignition cylinder locking up

350rs
07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
well it sat a few days and when i returned to start it up the key would stick in the start position. im curious if i were to put graphite in it would that mess anything up? im not about to replace it again if i can at 600 bucks!!

MAC the KNIFE
07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
rather than lithium grease or graphite, i'd use wd40, or silicone spray grease. something more liquid than graphite, won't clog things up.
and i'd spray the key, not directly into the ignition.
and happy 500 posts!

350rs
07-07-2011, 02:51 PM
ah, sure enough. runnin on 3 whole cylinders now! WO-HOO! Im a Geo now!

but ive considered WD-40 but wasnt sure if it would do anything to fix this problem and didnt want to risk messing with any of those electrical due dads in there. i guess maybe a light coat on the key and pretend im doin the horizontal boogie a few times to see what happens.

Y2KGA
07-08-2011, 06:32 PM
well it sat a few days and when i returned to start it up the key would stick in the start position. im curious if i were to put graphite in it would that mess anything up? im not about to replace it again if i can at 600 bucks!!

Have you tried reversing the key when it gets stuck? Do you have another key to use?

350rs
07-10-2011, 09:36 PM
tried it once. didnt seem to make any kind of impact. have several keys though. could try one of them i spose.