hearders are leaking? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : hearders are leaking?

Mattyj724
07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
i had to replace the thermostat, and to get to it i had to loosen the front headers. when i tightened them back up and started the car it sounded like i was runing open headers and some smoke came from the heads. do i need to replace the gaskets if i just loosened them? or should i just try to re tighten them?

speedfreak1
07-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I would get new gaskets. maybe new bolts also

Mattyj724
07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
not what i wanted to hear. can i drive it to the local parts store with a little leak?

speedfreak1
07-10-2011, 10:54 AM
sure. its not leaking on wires or anything is it?

Mattyj724
07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
where the front headers meet the back ones there is no gasket. idk how mineke got them to match up before but i cant and its just shooting into the engine bay. at the front heads where the headers meet up a little smoke just seeps out. but idk if its because i broke the seal and it needs to re seal or something.

FuriousG
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure why you had to loosen the headers to replace the thermostat. I've changed the thermostat twice on the 3400 and I've only removed the air intake, throttle body and the coolant pipe to get to the thermostat housing. I can understand maybe removing the heat shield from the exhaust but unless you have aftermarket (ie larger) headers then you should be able to get the thermostat out without moving the exhaust.

Mattyj724
07-10-2011, 03:02 PM
yes they are SS headers not exhaust manifolds. but i got it all worked out.. Thanks for the comments

stevenlemon
07-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Speaking of bolts, I am replacing my heads on this 2000 Grand Am and I decided to replace the water pump as well.

When I asked for help in the torque specs for the head bolts and the water pump here is what I got:
Head bolts 45 ft/lb water pump pulley 18 ft/lb water pump 98 ft/lb
You mean the water pump is torqued TWICE as much as the head bolts???????????

I know I'm new at this, but is that actually right? I got that water pump up to 20 and got so sacared I stopped right there.

Secondly, has anyone ever said how to tighten the pulley bolts when the thing keeps spinning every tiem you turn the wrench?
Thanks

sugar ray
07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
stevenlemon:

Glad to see your still at it!! :applause:

Torque specs are a funny thing. Depending on "How important" the specific spec is. For instance. A torque spec on your head is extremely important. While, a torque spec for your battery hold down clamp would NOT be nearly as important!! I have the attaching bolts for the pump LISTED as "98 in-lbs" This is one of those instances where if your a little off, don't worry about it!! If your pump feels tight and secure don't over do it and snap that bolt!! On a personal note. Those "click" torque wrenches freak me out!! Call me old fashion.....but I prefer the old school "DIAL" torque wrenches.

As for INSTALLING your pulley. It will be necessary to hand tighten all 4 bolts and then wedge a screw driver to hold the pulley in place. REMOVAL would be done the same way Just like this:

FuriousG
07-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Big difference between in-lb's and ft-lbs. Double check your specs to make sure you've got the right measurement. 98 in-lbs is only about 8 ft-lbs.

HOYS
07-11-2011, 02:33 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29995&stc=1&d=1310369600

dlineownzu4life
07-12-2011, 01:57 AM
LUL'D Hardddddd. Winning.