Brain Teaser For the Gurus [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brain Teaser For the Gurus

BradLav
07-11-2011, 05:34 AM
I have been surfing on here for a few months and never posted, but here we go on a sour note.

I was getting on the Expressway, normal 80% throttle, 30-80mph acceleration, And the SES Light came on and started blinking, went to autozone, scanned it, got a lean code and a multiple misfire code. So I get a new fuel filter (didn't help at all).

Get home, barely, wants to stall out in gear, shakes so bad i think the dash is going to fall off.

Hooked it up to my buddies Tech 2, misfires in cyl. 1 & 6, arent firing at all, okay coils and ignition modual im thinking no big deal, but iff you listen it now has a tick as well. heres a video for you guys.

http://youtu.be/isG9sr263EU

Input Please, pretty sure my engine is messed up, bad, Going to a shop tomorrow, just would like to know what to expect here, Thanks, Brad

mfuller
07-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail test port. That will rule out a dying fuel pump.
If that's OK, check for clogged or non-firing fuel injectors.
Maybe bent pushrods or broken valvesprings/retainers - which is serious and may have caused a chipped piston/smashed valves. You pull the spark plugs on #1 and #6 yet?
Lotsa nasty valvetrain noise in that video.

Mattyj724
07-11-2011, 07:38 AM
misfire in only 1 and 6 sounds like spark plugs, coil pack, or injecters. maybe new wires too?

BradLav
07-11-2011, 08:37 AM
my fuel filter was definitely plugged a little, and that made no difference in the way it ran...

So this IS an interference engine? Crap.

Spark Plug 1 - Wetttt with fuel, loose like it had backed out or wasnt put in all the way, mind you I just got the car 3 months ago, so its been like that for awhile :/

Spark Plug 6 - Carbon Filled like crazy

Spark Plug 2,3,4,5 - Normal

I was going to just do a full on tune up, but not with that nasty tick, I better start looking for a motor to drop in, Its at the shop right now being diagnosed....

Thanks for the responses, keep the ideas coming, Brad

westerndragon
07-11-2011, 09:15 AM
ticks are soooooooooo common in these engines.....of course i cant hear how bad it is but usually a bit of lucas will help a valve tick worked like a charm in my old ga

SC/T02
07-11-2011, 10:24 AM
misfire in only 1 and 6 sounds like spark plugs, coil pack, or injecters. maybe new wires too?

x2 Sounds like lifters ticking. Which could be louder with the blow by and no good combustion in 2 cylinders. Coil packs first, and replace the 2 fouled out plugs if nothing else. Should be about a $60 check to seee if it solves the problem. If it does, get the last coil pack and the rest of the plugs. Wires could have gone bad too, but less likely unless you see burnt plug wires.

street_fire
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
i had this problem last yr and i just changed the wires and plugs in it. It`s funny i put a good name plus and wires 2 months before. It just was bad wires i guess.

AaronGTR
07-11-2011, 04:22 PM
That's a really bad sounding tick. Could be a couple collapsed lifters and the valves weren't opening all the way. As bad as that sounds though, could also be some stripped/broken bolts for the rocker arms or split/cracker rockers arms and those valves on those cylinders might not be opening at all. That would certainly cause the severe misfires you were getting (flashing SES light) and the bad plugs. Definitely need to take off the valve covers and manifolds and check out that valve train and maybe the heads too.

Other possibility is bad injectors on those cylinders, but that wouldn't cause the valve train noise. I would say probably not a problem with fuel flow or pressure since it was only misfiring on two cylinders and the other plugs looked ok.

MAC the KNIFE
07-11-2011, 09:11 PM
oh no. that sound is crunchy;crap

BradLav
07-12-2011, 05:49 AM
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner, Aaron solved it!

shop called me, 4 rocker arm studs pulled out of the heads, $293, and I don't have to hassle with the drilling and tapping, and the insert things.

Now what the heck caused this?????

I read somewhere that if the rocker arms were over torqued it would cause this, since i bought the car 3 months ago with 181,000 miles I assume the LIM gaskets were replaced, so I asked the guy to retorque the other rockers for me, hopefully it wont happen again....

plugs and wires, to come when I get paid thursday as well

AaronGTR
07-13-2011, 04:09 PM
So were the threads in the head actually stripped, or had the bolts just come loose? Because that would be unusual for that to happen. Usually over torquing them deforms and weakens the threads in the heads and causes the bolts to pull out eventually from the pressure of the push rods and valve springs pushing up on them.