Electrical Issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue

JoshuaaaGT
07-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, I have an 02 Grand Am GT and alot of the electrical features in my vehicle don't function. Everything that won't work is tied to the passenger sied fuse box from what I have gathered (Power windows, Rear view mirror, fog lights). I had a nasty leak run through there a little while ago and was luckily able to plug it. I got the car used though so unfortunately the damage was done before I could do anything about it.

What I was wanting to know is what the possible problems could be? I was thinking there was a bad ground somewhere but I dont know where to check that at? If anyone up here would have any suggestions that would be pure awesomeness

Also, I did check the individual fuses, replaced em with new ones, and still no dice, which was another thing supporting my ground theory.

Thank you all in advance!

MAC the KNIFE
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
nothing linked to that box works? only thing i remember in that fuse box is the cruise control's fuse.
was it like this when you got the car, or did something happen?
i think when you take the passenger glove box out, just 5 screws, you can get a better view of what wires are running into the fuse box. that might help you check the ground without going through too much hassle.

phuston
07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
i know how you feel i have a 1999 and it is doing the same thing we have it all tore apart trying to find the short. we have it narrowed down to the orange wire, if any suggestion's let me know!!! good luck with your's!!!

Maetra
07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I have nearly the same problem with mine.. 'cept for most of my passenger side box still works right now.. only one that doesn't is the "fog light" fuse... if there's a fuse in there.. its permanently on.. so I have to pull it or everytime I park the car they run my battery dead.. All from faulty weather stripping over on that side and sometimes water leaks IN on that one area over the fuse box cover.. never noticed it since I dont drive from the passenger side and everyone else hasn't said a darn word...

I loosen my box and brought it out a bit to see what kind of "water damage" I had.. (of course after disconnecting the battery). ... ... I promptly put it back into the car and screwed it back in to say "_____ that" (4 letters of doom)

Mine had nearly every wire on the back side was corroded.. the fact that the others still worked, from what I can tell, properly.. is amazing to me..

good luck!

ps, if the whole box doesn't work.. maybe you'll get lucky and just have the main line in be needing changed.. in that case... shouldn't be too much work.

phuston
07-15-2011, 12:03 PM
:applause: I AM HAPPY TO SAY MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!!IT WAS THE IGNITION SWITCH. INSIDE THE PLASTIC PART. IT CAME OFF SO GOT IT BACK ON AND ALL IS WORKING!!!!!