Monsoon stereo system / aftermarket harness necessary? I am guessing yes?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon stereo system / aftermarket harness necessary? I am guessing yes??

sugar ray
07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
02 GA Monsoon stereo system is an aftermarket harness absolutely necessary when changing to an aftermarket head unit? I am guessing yes?? My monsoon CD deck has been randomly spitting out discs regardless of condition. Perfect discs, slightly scratched discs, don't matter!! Doesn't do it all the time, just frequently enough to drive one bananas.

It appears GM has us by the nuts on this one. I replace the deck with a factory original then I am forced to spend extra money just to bring my replacement deck to a dealership so they can program my VIN number in. Without it a replacement deck doesn't work!! Fine.....I rather go aftermarket anyways cause then I will have a player with OPTIONS. Mp3 discs etc.......

However with an aftermarket head unit I am again forced to spend extra money on an aftermarket harness. I wouldn't mind so much BUT.......an aftermarket for one of these that will tap into the monsoon amp, and various chimes is almost as much as a brand new aftermarket head unit. Close to $100 for an aftermarket harness!! You gotta be kidding?? Standard GA's that never had the Monsoon system get off easy. A simple harness for them are valued at $5 on ebay. No such luck for me. The OTHER aftermarket re-routing harness is a bit of a joke if you ask me. Having to relocate your original head unit to the trunk running miles of harness through your car just so a new head unit can be installed in your dash seems a little extreme. On the other hand I refuse to hack into the factory harness block. It's so cheezy

Just wondering if anyone has a cheaper solution? Yes I would still like my door chimes, and low gas chime to work. I have this feeling I will have to buck up.
Damn;crap

sugar ray
07-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Not cheap!!

Rainbow1616
07-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Use the GMRC-01. 40 bucks on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-LC-GMRC-01-GM-00-08-CLASS-2-DATA-BUS-PLUG-GMRC-01-/130540071877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e64cb6bc5

sugar ray
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Rainbow!! A little more reasonable in price for sure!! However, having the stock Monsoon system in my car I still think it won't work. As the writing states:

"The LC-GMRC-01 is designed to be used in non-amplified GM vehicles or in vehicles that the OEM amplifier has been bypassed"

So yes it will retain my chimes but won't throw anything out of my speakers because the monsoon systems use an AMP and my amp has not been bypassed.

I appreciate the suggestion none the less:applause:

marshmello
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Okay so I need a straight answer. I have a 2000 grand am Se coupe, and I don't believe it has the monsoon system however it does have front/rear speakers plus what looks like tweeters up next to the mirrors. If the head unit does not say monsoon on it, than I am without the separate amplifier in the trunk correct? And therefore I can switch to my aftermarket head unit with the cheaper harness adapter? Thanks in advance!

rocketfast123
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
You just need the basic old school GM wiring kit that you can get anywhere for like $5.99

marshmello
02-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks a bunch!