Battery Leaking Acid [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery Leaking Acid

G.I.Ceo
07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
So as the title says I have gone through three batteries this year alone. I have a issue with the battery leaking acid and bowing on the sides of it. Also the battery will only stay charged for a matter of a few days and I cannot figure out for the life of me what is causing this. My voltage gauge reads steady at 13.6-14.1 at all times too.

350rs
07-21-2011, 03:45 PM
sounds like something is pulling a load on it constantly or somehow over charging the system. Do you have some sort of extra stereo equipment or something goin on? Anything like that?

G.I.Ceo
07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
No nothing at all attached to the battery besides the car itself. I have a after market radio and after market performance parts and thats it. I did change the ground from the battery to the body and thats all.

350rs
07-21-2011, 04:35 PM
hmm. get your alt checked. if the regulator inside is screwin up and puttin too much back into that battery it will start screwin things up. electrical isnt my forte, but i can lend a few basic ideas.

G.I.Ceo
07-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Thats what I'm thinking it might be too.

sugar ray
07-21-2011, 11:46 PM
Ya....my buddy's GA did the exact same thing!! It "WAS" the regulator in his alt. All appeared fine, according to the gauges, but the regulator wasn't regulating. Translation: It was feeding the battery too much. Cooking it in the process!!

As a cheap fix. He got a used alt for $40 from a wrecker just to be sure. Guess he got lucky with the used alt. cause......it's been over 2 years and he is still running the used wrecker alt. No issues since!!

Good luck