RPM drops, sometimes stalls, no SES [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : RPM drops, sometimes stalls, no SES

young gun
07-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Starts up just fine. Driving around randomly rpm's drop and then if i stay on the gas it keeps surging up and down. If i let off and then get back on it goes back to being ok. Misfiring but no codes, sometimes backfires.

so far i have:
changed spark plugs
changed wires
ran 2 days fine
started doing it again so i changed the coil packs
still does it

i'm thinking fuel pump now?
maybe FPR, although i replaced that recently, couldn't hurt to try a suck test?
gunked up injector?
any other ideas?

sugar ray
07-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Backfires with no codes may be a sure sign of a vacuum leak!! Check hoses etc.... for cracks while engine is running. Some times a leak can be heard, other times it can be hard to track down

young gun
07-23-2011, 09:48 AM
i cleaned the MAF the other day and checked some connections and made sure they were snug. test drove it for 20 minutes then ended up driving it for almost 2 hours lol. runs fine now atleast.

grandamdamsel
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
My car is randomly stalling on me. It's always been running at least fifteen minutes when this happens. It seems related to this crap 10%ethynol gas. I've poured octane boost and fuel injector cleaner in it a couple times. The fuel filter has been replaced. New spark plugs. I've tested the ignition module. It stalled all the time when the abs wire was disconnected. I fixed that, somehow that helped. I'm praying so hard my fuel pump is not the problem. Oh ya, I replaced the vacuum hose in the front top...intake manifold? I have no ses, or svs light on.

young gun
08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
First off: does your gauge go crazy like mine in the video? if so get your crank position sensor checked, if your stalling at lower RPM's its more likely the 7x sensor behind the block but if this happens at higher RPM's its more likely the 24x sensor located by the serpentine belt.

If not then clean your MAF with a MAF cleaner from any parts store, check all your eletrical connections you can and all vacuum tubes. Make sure your plug wires are ok and coil packs.

If none of those solve the problem i think your looking at a fuel pump.

grandamdamsel
08-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I thank you so much for the advice. This poor car sat in the yard all winter. I had another ga 2.4l I ran until the bitter end. I was afraid things could go wrong with this gal hanging out with little action for so long. My gas gauge gos up and down to some degree. Its no more than a quarter tank either way. My boyfriend bought plugs that were by autozone standards comparable to what the haynes manual called for. I apoligize I am no mechanic. I am struggling to learn as much about my ga as I can to avoid my guy having to do all the work.:)