moog stabilizer bar end links [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : moog stabilizer bar end links

drakesrevenge
07-23-2011, 08:50 PM
picked some up today from advance auto, bolt is shorter than stock and has a spacer. i could NOT fit the spacer onto the bolt when put on car, this was the only solution i could find! between the lower control arm and stabilizer bar i have 2 bushing--one to the lca and one to the stabilizer bar. between the 2 bushing i have two washers that came with the kit---does anyone foresee problems in future-----------because it just doesn't seem right to me that 2 washers would be rubbing against each other........

WidbyJ
07-24-2011, 01:28 PM
I foresee no problem with that setup although it does look 'odd'... driving will tell.

Lab Rat
07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I used energy suspension parts but mine is mounted the same way. GM rubber chit does fail and this is much better. Might consider sway bar and control arm poly as well.

drakesrevenge
07-24-2011, 02:23 PM
yeah, i was thinking about the metal to metal contact, and i guess it's shouldn't matter considering if i did have the spacer in there, it would still be metal to metal contact. have been driving it, haven't heard any noises from it so far.

AaronGTR
07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Only thing I would be concerned with is clearance of the sway bar to the frame and control arm during suspension movement. I tried installing some energy suspension bushings similar to that once. The bolt was long enough because the bushings were thinner than the stock ones so even with the stock spacer in place the location and angle of the end of the sway bar ended up being lower than stock.

It looked like it might work, but I was concerned about it possibly contacting the frame or other components or maybe binding and not working as well. Didn't want to risk breaking the stock center brackets since I was already using a stiffer bar with stiffer center bushings. Also I figured the stock plastic spacer would be too weak to use with the stiff poly bushings and would just break, since I've seen them broken with the stock rubber ones. I kept the stock end links for the time, but held on to the poly ones. Some day I plan on getting some aluminum stock and making a larger spacer that will locate the bar at the stock height and hold up to the pressure from the stiffer bushings, and also some beefier bolts and nuts for the end links because I don't think they stock ones are strong enough for that much force.

drakesrevenge
07-26-2011, 02:38 AM
thanks a, i'll keep an eye on it! if they do f up, moog supposedly carries a "lifetime" warranty on them, although the guy at advance auto says that "lifetime" to moog is 7 years.

Only thing I would be concerned with is clearance of the sway bar to the frame and control arm during suspension movement. I tried installing some energy suspension bushings similar to that once. The bolt was long enough because the bushings were thinner than the stock ones so even with the stock spacer in place the location and angle of the end of the sway bar ended up being lower than stock.

It looked like it might work, but I was concerned about it possibly contacting the frame or other components or maybe binding and not working as well. Didn't want to risk breaking the stock center brackets since I was already using a stiffer bar with stiffer center bushings. Also I figured the stock plastic spacer would be too weak to use with the stiff poly bushings and would just break, since I've seen them broken with the stock rubber ones. I kept the stock end links for the time, but held on to the poly ones. Some day I plan on getting some aluminum stock and making a larger spacer that will locate the bar at the stock height and hold up to the pressure from the stiffer bushings, and also some beefier bolts and nuts for the end links because I don't think they stock ones are strong enough for that much force.