Key does not turn? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key does not turn?

dagenais
07-27-2011, 06:57 PM
This is the second time in about 3 week where the key wont turn? After about 5min of trying it works but trying to figure out where to start?

03 GT 141K - Not sure if key (I have another one I'm going to try), sensor? key?

350rs
07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
no sensors in the key that im aware of. try the other key. can you jiggle wiggle the key while moving it in and out and turn it? The ignition cylinder may be worn out. Did it do this all the sudden or could you feel it resisting being turned for awhile before it finally crapped out?

Z2dr99GT
07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Mine has done that before too and I can't figure it out, after I try a few times it works but sometimes it just wont turn at all

bricooper78
07-27-2011, 09:55 PM
take a rubber mallet to the key while it's in the ignition. like you're trying to use the key as a nail. it's in the chrysler service manuals for several of their units. did it to a buddy of mine's van, been fine since.

and i've had others do that in here, it works. i swear it sounded like the worst idea, but it does something to it and gets it lined back up. and don't be nice, we pounded that thing on the van and it's been fine ever since, 2 years plus.

(honestly don't know if i could bring myself to do this, however, i have first hand experience of it working..if in an emergency situation, i'd beat my key lol)

Medy
07-28-2011, 08:30 AM
this is good to know my key has had issues since ive bought the car, ill have to try it out and let you know if it works for me....thanks

JFleury8469
07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Spend $6 and get a new key at the dealer ;)

zukiracer19
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM
could be a worn out key... i started my car with lock picks one time to make sure it was just my key worn out and not the cylinder thinger inside

Lab Rat
07-28-2011, 11:13 AM
take a rubber mallet to the key while it's in the ignition. like you're trying to use the key as a nail. it's in the chrysler service manuals for several of their units. did it to a buddy of mine's van, been fine since.

and i've had others do that in here, it works. i swear it sounded like the worst idea, but it does something to it and gets it lined back up. and don't be nice, we pounded that thing on the van and it's been fine ever since, 2 years plus.

(honestly don't know if i could bring myself to do this, however, i have first hand experience of it working..if in an emergency situation, i'd beat my key lol)

Yea, a BFH fixes everything.:wtf

alerored04
07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Mine did this. The gear shift was not going into park all the way. When you park it and this happens jiggle the shifter hard in park for about 30 secs. The key should release.

bricooper78
07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I would go for the extra key if it were me.. but then I realize there is that "different strokes for different folks" mentality, and I put out what I know lol

didn't know it was 6 bucks for a new key, now if the fob were only that cheap...

dagenais
07-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Mine did this. The gear shift was not going into park all the way. When you park it and this happens jiggle the shifter hard in park for about 30 secs. The key should release.

Im also thinking this as I remember also being park on a hill? So many things... Going to try my other key and see... its just a piss off being stuck it always ends up working im thinking one day it wont...

Y2KGA
07-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Try flipping the key when it happens.

JFleury8469
07-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I suggested the new key because my original one was so worn down that it would only turn if facing a certain direction, and even then it would sometimes not work until I put the key in, and pulled it back out 1/16" while wiggling and turning it. A new key made at the dealer fixed it right up, now I'm just having issues with the "SECURITY" light because the magnet in the cylinder is shot... Time for that resistor mod :D (After I fix my larger engine problem) >.<