Noise from Front Wheels [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Noise from Front Wheels

Monagrandam
07-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Hello all
I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand AM SE (v6) with just over 100K km's on it.

I've recently changed front brake pads, rotors and calipers and am now getting a rubbing sound coming from both side - not a constant sound - I hear a distinct start and stop to the sound at low speeds - something like a ffttt fffttt with a low squeal. And the faster I go - the louder it gets...

I've read it may be the tires rubbing somehow but didn't see any wear/rubbing spots and I also inflated my tires to about 42psi without luck.

And when I brake, the noise doesn't change - it just gets quieter. Thoughts, opinions and suggestions welcome!

sleepyalero
07-29-2011, 09:11 AM
i would check over what you recently replaced make sure everything is tight.

my other thought if its a humming kinda noise then its a hub assembly.

FuriousG
07-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Make sure you have the brake pads on correctly. Each wheel has an outer and an inner pad. If they get reversed, you will have constant pressure on one side and will wear your pads out very quickly. If the noise only started following the brake change, then there's probably something that's not quite right with the brakes. Also make sure the rotor is fully seated (not angled even slightly.) This is less likely the cause but it's still something to check.

The notch at the top of the inner brake pad (side closest to the engine) should have a larger tab on top of it than the outer one. Also, the inner one has the metal squeal bar that is supposed to warn you when the brakes are low. If you find this metal piece on the outer pad, it's wrong. If none of that sounds familiar to you, then take it to a shop and have them check it out.

Also, please don't forget to change your tire pressure back to approx 32 psi. Having more or less tire pressure will only compound your problems and make it harder to diagnose and could cause further problems later on.

Monagrandam
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi all - Thanks for the ideas. Did some trouble shooting - the pads are definitely rubbing on the rotor on the driver side only. I re-did the entire job from scratch checking the pads are on the right side, the caliper is aligned and all seems right!!! I'll exchange my new caliper as I think it's a defective part and try out a new one. This is a pain in the ass but I'm stubburn enough to try one more thing before give in and pay a mechanic who will want about $700!!! pricks!!! Anyways, I'll try that out and let you know.

hahano404
07-29-2011, 12:31 PM
grease up slides if pads are correct.

juanvan
07-29-2011, 01:13 PM
You should really grease the slider pins once ever few brake changes b/c of there tendency to lock up and cause brake hangups.

Monagrandam
07-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Going to go get new calipers as soon as my boss (aka wife) gets home. I'm annoyed I probably have a defective part. I've been at this for about 4 days now trying a thing here and another thing there. If this doesn't work - anyone want to buy a 2003 Grand Am SE V6 with just over 100K KM's on it? It's in great shape except there a rubbing noice from the right front wheel caused by a ****ty new part!!!! lol

hahano404
07-29-2011, 04:01 PM
i'll give you tree fitty for it

FuriousG
07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
If you were in the Northern California area I'd probably be willing to buy it near the end of September. Fell like making a trip?

tony t
04-20-2013, 06:15 PM
its most likly just the Front Brake Caliper Anti Rattle Spring rubbing against the rotor edge ,mine was