My Car is falling apart... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My Car is falling apart...

Stevo
08-02-2011, 02:24 PM
So to list the problems ive been having recently. 2005 Grand Am Se, LD9 with 92,7xx

1. Change oil light is on, oil only has about 2500 miles on it, tried resetting it, disconnecting the battery, waiting 10 min, tried disconnecting the pcm battery, Light is still there. Something im missing?

2. Was a full quart low on oil, and no leaks so will be checking possible signs on faulty head gasket this weekend. Normal for a LD9 to burn that much oil in a short amount of miles since oil change? Would using a thicker viscosity oil help? currently using 5W-30.

3. Door sounds like a spring is about to snap, and doesnt always open now. Would that be the outside door handle or something else?

4. Car radio isnt turning off when taking the key out and opening the driver door, only shuts off when the car shuts off to save battery life. Checked the radio turn on fuse, cleaned it but still not turning off. Radio is aftermarket but would still run off factory settings correct?

5. Front right side Windshield seal is completely gone, what is the part number for that?

Bad month for me and this car, really starting to frustrate me with all the little things going wrong.

teamhughes
08-02-2011, 02:54 PM
better than having a sercurity light stay on and cant start the car, or the cat converter clogged and burning gas like crazy lol

Stevo
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Very true, but when youve only owned the car for 10 Months its a little irritating lol

teamhughes
08-02-2011, 03:03 PM
oh yeah thats true

Lab Rat
08-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Couple of things. A 2005 is gonna have an ecotec 2.2.

On my 2000 the oil life reset is a red button in the drivers side fuse panel. Press once and light flashes, press and hold until you get a "bell" and/or light goes out. Not sure about a 2005.

I can lose 1 quart by 3000 miles. Cam cover gaskets are a pain so I have been living with a small leak.

Can't really help with you other stuff. Someone else will chime in.

teamhughes
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
yeah mine has the same thing "red button" but it should be the same since a 1999 to 2005 is the same

Stevo
08-02-2011, 05:07 PM
yes the ld9 is the ecotec,Im away from my car but ill check later for that button. My 2004 gt that i had was sooo different from this car

AaronGTR
08-02-2011, 05:13 PM
If you are burning the oil, it's probably not the head gasket. You usually burn coolant of that is bad. Burning oil is more likely from worn piston rings and/or pistons, or worn valve seals. If it was excessive you'd see black smoke coming from the exhaust, and your O2 sensor and catalytic converter would be getting fouled/plugged. Some cars just burn up some oil over time though. Especially with higher miles. 90k+ doesn't sound like that much, but my old '97 grand prix that had 180k on it would burn through a quart after about 5k miles or so. Some oil usually gets sucked through the PCV system, even on a brand new car.

The door, really hard to say anything without seeing it in person. Most likely is inside the door though since all the latch and operating hardware is there.

The radio, I seem to remember hearing about someone else who had that issue once, but don't remember if the cause was ever found or posted here. Could be a problem with the BCM perhaps.

AaronGTR
08-02-2011, 05:15 PM
yes the ld9 is the ecotec,Im away from my car but ill check later for that button. My 2004 gt that i had was sooo different from this car

No, actually the LD9 is the old 2.4L quad four engine. The 2.2L ecotec is a different code.

plastic_indian
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
As has been stated, the LD9 was the '96-up version of the Q4 (VIN 'T'). A late N body had the L61 Ecotec.

'03 was the last year for the red 'reset' button in the fuse panel. Beginning '04, the maintenance reminder must be reset with the accelerator (KOEO, then WOT 3x within 5 seconds) or with a scan tool. (Or, I should say, my '03 had a button and my '04 does not...)

Oil consumption concerns (when no external loss is evident) should be addressed by 1) ensuring the engine is using the proper amount and grade of oil before verifying the actual consumption rate, then 2) verifying the crankcase vent system is in top shape. If the problem still continues, then start worrying about mechanical issues.

Body control looks for a door opening event to kill retained accessory power (RAP). If the radio doesn't turn off when opening the door, perhaps a fault exists with the door switch - will the dome light come on when the door is opened? While certainly other faults may be the cause here, a door switch is an easy (and more common) issue to check.

Stevo
08-02-2011, 06:21 PM
my mistake, yes its the l61 for some reason ld9 kept popping in my head lol. Rings were my next thought as time goes on if the oil burning gets more persisntent ill look into it. As far as the door sometimes lights come on and sometimes it doesnt which points me more towards the switch, where exactly is that locatated?. I change the oil myself and always double check to make sure the right amount was added as my family is full of mechanics so when i check it they do. i use 5w-30 which is the recommended right? Or should i look at upping the wieght?

Stevo
08-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Update: oil light is gone! repeatedly pressed on the pedal while car was on ACC and it finally beeped then went away. I did this earlier as i remember my old grand am, but instead of three times it was about 7 or 8. So now all i got left to do is fix the door and monitor my oil consumption. Would moving up to say 10W-40 oil help the burning, It would be earier if i was at home lol as i would have the help of my brother and dad and a wide selection of tools, college sucks. Thanks for all the help everyone

AaronGTR
08-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I would not change the oil weight. It won't change anything if you are burning excessive oil. The manufacturer calls for 5W30 so I would stick with that. If you are concerned with the health of your engine or piston rings you could always have a compression and leak down test done.

[ChaosweaveR]
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
From what I've seen stupid customers do...the Ecotec doesn't like 10W-40. lol that is, unless you like dry start, and straining the oil pump, and messing with the oil pressure.

Stick with 5W-30, and NOTHING else.

Stevo
08-03-2011, 09:25 PM
5W-30 it is! Thanks everyone, In the next couple of weeks ill be spending some time working on it and do a compression test just to be safe. Now all thats left is the door, should i really worry about a possible broken door switch, i mean the car will eventually shut it off to protect the battery correct?

cutlsp
08-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Where do you go to school? I have a pretty wide selection of tools if you need help with it pm me.
lol

Stevo
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm about4 hours away from you lol. ill be at home in about a week or so ill take care of it then. i go to stephen f austin.