Oxygen Sensor Wire Hookup [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Sensor Wire Hookup

ray9
08-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a 2002 grand am se (3.4l) and the oxygen sensor was disconnected for some reason. I would like to try and wire it back together but I do not know the correct colors to match up because the adapter is missing and the wires are unloomed.

The colors on the oxygen sensor are: white, white, grey, blue
The colors on the other wires are: purple, black(w/ white stripe), brown, tan

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/raym0nd92/Snapbucket/8943b638-orig-1.jpg

Thanks!!!!!!

AaronGTR
08-08-2011, 04:10 PM
That is really weird. Especially considering that is the main O2 sensor for fuel correction, and if it's not working there will be a check engine light and about half a dozen codes set in the computer.

My recommendation would be replace that sensor. There is probably something wrong with it anyway, and getting a new one will make sure that it is wired up correctly and all the contacts are good. Then I would get a new connector for the harness side and splice that in. You should be able to get one from a GM dealership or autoparts store, and they will probably be pre-wired with leads on them, so it should be easy to match up the wire colors and splice them together correctly.

Just in case though, tan is the sensor return(negative), purple is the sensor signal(positive), black is the heater ground, and brown is the heater power (ignition feed). I'll attach a pic of the connector end view.

You'll want to have a connector in there rather than just splicing them together, in case you need to replace that sensor later or have to do any other engine service that may require unplugging the sensor, rather than having to remove it all the time which can be a major pain. For the wire on the harness you splice together, don't use cheap crimp connectors! They will get water in them and short out or corrode and the sensor will stop working. You can get crimp connectors that have heat shrink ends, or twist them together and solder them. I recommend using heat shrink tubing over top of either method, then wrapping the harness back up in electrical tape. That way it will be weather proof. :thumbs:

ray9
08-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Thank you very very much!!