cranks but won't start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : cranks but won't start

skyler337
08-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I have a 2004 grand am 3400. The car cranks but won't start up, but it seems like when it is cool outside the car starts up fine. When it won't start i can't hear the fuel pump. This started happening last month when the security light came on. I've decided that it must be the fuel pump or ignition switch, but can't determine which. Also i put a new fuel pump in about 8000 miles ago.

hazazil
09-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I have the exact same problem. I purchased the car off my older brother. It was shutting off on him randomly while driving. The security light would come on and he would have to wait 10 minutes..........yada yada yada. Since they have a baby, they decided to just get another vehicle.

It's a 2002 Grand Am GT with the 3.4L.

I bypassed passlock and it seems fine now when it comes to that. Service engine soon light also went off. The mechanic said that there was codes coming up in history but none current.

Most mornings i have to turn the key back and forth till i hear the fuel pump kick in. I assume the fuel pump is fine because once it starts, it runs great.

My brother had the ignition replaced already once before.

G.I.Ceo
09-26-2011, 11:40 PM
You know I had a issue with my fuel pump not kicking in when I turned the key and come to find out all it was was a bad fuse relay for the fuel pump. I ran to Napa and got a new one for about $10 and problem solved.

KillNThrill24
09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
may sound stupid.. but make sure there is gas in your car. lol my gas gauge doesnt work in my camaro and the mileage got reset without me knowing so i THOUGHT i was at 220mi but i must have been at far more than that. because i was driving it home, it died, and wouldnt start. had it towed home, checked to make sure fuel pump kicked on, it did. replaced the fuel filter, still didnt start just cranked. finally said "i swear...." and put gas in it and boom started.

although most people dont have dead sending units, i do and that was my problem. probably not yours lol but never hurts to throw it out there. check the fuel filter tho, and FPR, and make sure everything is connected properly

skyler337
10-14-2011, 01:52 PM
I have replaced the relay already and that didn't fix the problem. And it has a full tank of gas. I think i will try to do the security bypass on it and hopefully that fixes it.

zukiracer19
10-15-2011, 09:34 AM
If it doesn't check your Crankshaft Positioning sensor... I've seen some melt on the exhaust when pulling 3400s apart @ junkyard... That would make it crank and crank but lead to nothing.

skyler337
12-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I did the security bypass, it still wouldn't start. However I let the car sit for about a month and I tried to start it to find the battery was dead. Took the battery to Autozone to get it charged and when I put it back in the car started right up. Drove it around without it stalling out. I have a feeling though that this is just temporary and the problem is going to resurface.

skyler337
01-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Went on a trip for a few weeks and came back, and the car will not start. Battery is fine, gas in the car... I can't hear the fuel pump kick on when I go to start the car. Once I can get the car back to my house I'm going to drop the fuel tank and check the fuel pump.

skyler337
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
So I was going to have a friend tow my car back to my house and before I got in the car I kicked the rear tires a few times and the fuel tank. Then I got in it and the car started right up. I've tried to start the car on at least 15 different occasions without it starting. SO a couple of questions: Why would kicking the car make the fuel pump work? If the fuel pump is only working intermediately how would I be able to tell when I pull the pump out of the tank and be certain that it is the fuel pump that is causing this problem?

G.I.Ceo
03-02-2012, 01:15 PM
When you turn the key to the on position you should be able to hear it whine a little bit. If you don't hear that then your fuel pump is most likely going out.

jyphotog
04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Hey guys having the same issue. Changed out my fuel pump (because it went out). Changed the Ignition module last year and it seemed to fix it, until this year. When it gets hot, it will not start. Not when it has been running, but when its in the heat. At about 80 degrees. I took it to the mechanic, and he said it may be the ignition coil pack or the main relay. Im not quite sure what the main relay is though.

madmike77
02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Ok I have a 2002 gt and my fuel pump will not kick on this is after it working when it wanted to, car would die out while driving replaced the fuel pump for second time in 13 months , did the security bypass when I replaced the the fuel pump the first time switched out relay still nothing anyone have a solution besides getting rid of the pos

micheal_2014
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I have a 2004 grand am 3400. The car cranks but won't start up, but it seems like when it is cool outside the car starts up fine. When it won't start i can't hear the fuel pump. This started happening last month when the security light came on. I've decided that it must be the fuel pump or ignition switch, but can't determine which. Also i put a new fuel pump in about 8000 miles ago.

I am having the same problem with a 2000 grand am with the 3400 engine. I have replaced the crank and cam shaft position sensor's. It is getting fuel, the Ignition control module test good over 12 times, new plugs, wires, and i have a 6 different coil packs. but still no spark at all. And the ecu was reflashed from the dealer.(there is not a security code as far as i know of) Any ideas what else it could be??