Another question about warped dash...... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Another question about warped dash......

mjmeyerpa
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I was looking at the mildly warped dash on an extremely nice 2000 GT that I recently bought and wondered if anyone has tried to glue any type of maybe clear plastic L-shaped bracket to the windshield, to hold down the dash form warping any worse? It seems like it might work and would be fairly hidden as it would be down in the blacked area of the windshield perimeter.

MAC the KNIFE
08-09-2011, 06:32 PM
unless you've got the type of superglue that NASA uses, chances are that it will go soft. maybe use the adhesive that holds the rearview mirror onto the glass. but i don't think anything will adhere to the black parts on the edge of the windshield.

whiteGT99
08-09-2011, 09:08 PM
i found a good dash in the junkyard believe it or not, and when i took my old one out i tried abunch of different stuff, and i found no luck, so best bet is to look around for a good one and do the work to replace only to possibly do it again, or sorry to say just deal with it

knock on wood, the one i found is still in great shape after being in for about a year now, i use a sun shade and park in shaded area to try and prevent my new one from doing it

MAC the KNIFE
08-09-2011, 09:34 PM
^ my dash has been flawless for 10 years. but when i started parking my car outside, it went from perfect condition to noticeable warping in 4 DAYS! And that was WITH A CUSTOM FIT SUNSCREEN!!!

FutureDC_FLY_GT
04-13-2012, 04:25 PM
How did it go for you to do this? I am looking at the procedure but I am still seeing how to do it. I thought you had to pull the steering wheel to do this but I guess not? Can you say how long it took you? Thanks

ItsMeScottG
06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I found a good fix for the 1999-2005 grand am warping dashboards, and it only cost me $20 and 10min of my time and its clean.

It looks nice and saved me a hell of a lot of trouble.

ZeRo183
06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
and what was the fix???

ItsMeScottG
06-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Well im at work at the moment, when I get off of work ill post some pictures of my car showing what I did, along with listing the material needed for the fix, and simple instructions.

ItsMeScottG
06-20-2012, 02:09 PM
and what was the fix???

Sorry, I wasn't able to get on the computer last night, I was having too much fun working on my car.

Well anyways, I got 8 feet of black hose fuel line from ace hardware (3/8ID X 5/80D) and then I measured the length it needed to be and cut it down to be the correct size, and then I cut the corners so that it would be contoured with my dashboard and look nice.

This it nice because the material is the perfect size, it is firm enough to hold the dashboard down and it prevents the dashboard from warping/curling any more, and it well prevent the dashboard from developing cracks and buckling up. This isn't really noticeable, and it looks a hell of a lt better then seeing a warped/curling dashboard or seeing the nasty looking glue or buckled dashboard when you walk up on front of your car and look at your windshield.

***Pictures***

http://tinypic.com/r/2vabnmf/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2e4kuu8/6

TDavis
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Looks alot better then mine, I should probably do this.

94cutlassvert
06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I ran self taping screw into mine at the very front then put some bondo on top of the screws and painted them with a grey that matched the dash. You could tell it had been fixed but it looked a hell of a lot better

ItsMeScottG
06-20-2012, 02:31 PM
I ran self taping screw into mine at the very front then put some bondo on top of the screws and painted them with a grey that matched the dash. You could tell it had been fixed but it looked a hell of a lot better

Well I didnt want to drill anything into my dash, and the fix that I did, it isn't even noticeable, to be honest it looks like it came this way:)

pauljs75
07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Now if only somebody comes up with a trick to re-seat the passenger side airbag cover and that part of the dash vinyl (which I also see on your pic) that goes inside the piece around the instrument panel.

My car has been holding up fairly well for 10 years (other than things people have done to mess it up), but it's this interior stuff that's annoying. (Not a deal breaker, just annoying because it looks sloppy.) And I've also been using a sunshade.

Nice design, very good driver orientated ergonomics and haptics, but damn the cheap plastic.

gary009
10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
How does the black hose keep the edge of the warped dash down ? - by friction?

TDavis
10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
By common sense.

thapunisha333
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
i heard dash caps work well but are pricey, and i have tubing in there temporarily

PhantomLover007
03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Sorry, I wasn't able to get on the computer last night, I was having too much fun working on my car.

Well anyways, I got 8 feet of black hose fuel line from ace hardware (3/8ID X 5/80D) and then I measured the length it needed to be and cut it down to be the correct size, and then I cut the corners so that it would be contoured with my dashboard and look nice.

This it nice because the material is the perfect size, it is firm enough to hold the dashboard down and it prevents the dashboard from warping/curling any more, and it well prevent the dashboard from developing cracks and buckling up. This isn't really noticeable, and it looks a hell of a lt better then seeing a warped/curling dashboard or seeing the nasty looking glue or buckled dashboard when you walk up on front of your car and look at your windshield.

***Pictures***

http://tinypic.com/r/2vabnmf/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2e4kuu8/6

Might have to try this...

Starglow
03-25-2013, 06:43 PM

I did mine using the 3/8" hose over the weekend....will post pics later this week.

I had to use a metal putty knife to push the hose and work it down in there tight so it seated good and didn't pop back out. Some areas took more time than others and I also went one step further and filled in the side gaps with backer rod foam for a neater looking appearance. I replaced the broken up center vent with a new one I got off ebay as well.

ItsMeScottG
03-25-2013, 06:57 PM

Works just fine, I still have the tubing installed on my dash and its still just fine:)

TDavis
03-25-2013, 06:59 PM
I still have the 3/8" in mine but I still haven't gotten a 1/2" one. I feel I need an eighth bigger because If I where to push the hose and completely wedge it the dash would flip over on top of it but atm its all fine.

Starglow
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Works just fine, I still have the tubing installed on my dash and its still just fine:)

That was a great idea Scott...much better looking than using screws on an otherwise crappy dashboard design. I'm really happy with the way mine turned out compared to what it was without the hose fix and I think it will hold up good for a long time. Thanks for sharing your idea! :D

PhantomLover007
04-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Used the 3/8" hose and it worked pretty good except for one spot where the dash popped up. Sucks that it did that....

:-(

Might have to go w/ Tanner's suggestion

TDavis
04-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Used the 3/8" hose and it worked pretty good except for one spot where the dash popped up. Sucks that it did that....

:-(

Might have to go w/ Tanner's suggestion

Yeah I still have yet to do that dammit, keep forgetting. I'm gonna try to go tomorrow and get a 1/2" hose(next 1/8 size up) and see how that works. I want it to where I can fully wedge it in between the dash and windshield so it keeps it down but to where its small enough to be concealed.

PhantomLover007
04-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Yeah. that is one thing I'm trying to keep in mind. More of it popped up this evening.. ;crap

PhantomLover007
04-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Went w/ the next biggest fuel line that advanced had. 7/16th"

Seems to be working just fine :applause:

I have to trim up the passenger side a bit more, but everything is G2G and not seemingly out of place... lol

Yeah... I know my defrost vent is cracked. Gotta replace that. IDK if I'm gonna paint it though. Trying to drive w/ something shiny in the windshield is a bit rough. lol

Only worry in the back of my mind is if there is too much pressure on the glass, what is the chance of the seal separating?

bricooper78
04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
I highly doubt it, the bottom should have the clips with screws, unless they've stopped doing that in the last 10 years, sides and top are glued, but there used to be a bottom track that was a screwed in panel and then sealed, I think it's fine.

My defrost came back cracked in the same spot lol

TDavis
04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Yea my defrost vent was cracked too, I just bought another one on eBay for like $35 from GM to replace it when I did this fix.