How to access the fuel pressure switch [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to access the fuel pressure switch

SkyyG8
08-12-2011, 01:10 AM
I have a 2000 Grand AM 3.4 and I am trying to find out if its true that you can access the fuel pressure switch thru the access door under the back seat. I know you can lower the gas tank to access the switch but can you access thru the panel under the back seat?

AleroB888
08-12-2011, 02:29 AM
I have a 2000 Grand AM 3.4 and I am trying to find out if its true that you can access the fuel pressure switch thru the access door under the back seat. I know you can lower the gas tank to access the switch but can you access thru the panel under the back seat?

No fuel pump area access panel on GrandAms. The fuse/relay box is driver's side engine bay at firewall and one fuse/relay panel on each end of dashboard.
Fuel pressure is not switched, it is controlled by a mechanical regulator on the fuel rail. Fuel injector switching is controlled by the car's computer (Powertrain Control Module)

You may be thinking of a different component in the system.

Pauljp
08-12-2011, 08:06 AM
This info is on my 2003 GAGT,
The only thing that you can access under the back seat is the connectors to the fuel pump assembly (float, pump, sending unit).
On my car, I removed the back seat, there was an "X" stamped in the floor, I VERY CAREFULLY cut it out with a dremel tool to reveal the fuel pump assembly.
I was still not able to remove the pump as the rigid plastic fuel lines prevented that. But I was able to get to the connectors for testing purposes.
I sealed the hole with tar, metal plate and pop-rivets.
I have pictures if you want to see them.

IWillBeHeard
07-29-2015, 02:35 AM
Hi Pauljp. I need to change my fuel pressure sensor and I am thinking of just trying to cut out the X like you did to change it. Do you think its really really worth it? Going through all that, being that you still have to remove the seat and carpet, cut the X out , then repair the hole and all. I am thinking maybe I should just lower my tank and replace the sensor the usual, harder way. Also, what dremel tool attachment did you use to cut the square out? Thanks.

IWillBeHeard
07-29-2015, 02:37 AM
Paul, can you please send me the pictures, if you still have them? Thanks.

AleroB888
07-29-2015, 07:27 AM
There is not much clearance between the fuel components and the metal area you would have to cut. It would be much safer to drop the tank slightly anyway. You would have to cut a metal section from a salvage car to make an access panel:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/Gflash01/FPAC-1.jpg?t=1239333324

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/Gflash01/FPAC-2.jpg?t=1239333408

And to remove the pump, the tank would still have to be taken out once, to replace the plastic fuel lines with rubber lines. This will be less reliable because of the extra clamps used to secure the rubber lines.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/Gflash01/0014.jpg

AaronGTR
07-31-2015, 04:07 PM
I want to know wtf he is talking about with a fuel pressure switch? I've never heard of a fuel pressure switch on these cars? What would it's purpose even be?

plastic_indian
07-31-2015, 07:22 PM
Most likely fuel tank pressure sensor, which is used by the EVAP monitor.

AaronGTR
07-31-2015, 09:46 PM
^Yeah, that makes more sense. I've never heard of a fuel pressure switch.