New GA 3.4, rear plugs and a few other issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New GA 3.4, rear plugs and a few other issues

ENDEE666
08-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Hey, newbie here. Not to cars at all, just the GA. See my intro & drama-filled GA story here-
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1893740#post1893740

I remember seeing some trick to changing the rear 3 plugs & wires, but can't remember what. Had something about removing a motor mount & then allowing the motor to turn. Quuesttion is-- What motor mount & where? Any pics would be great, since I don't know this car well yet.. I changed the front 3 with no issues. I can't even SEE the rear 3 plugs or wires...

Other issues:
Rear sway bar bushings. Where is the best place to get them? The ones that attach to the body are rattling over bumps. I verified this with the car on ramps & a rubber mallet.. Might as well replace the fronts too, maybe the end links as well. What are the best sources for all these bushings?

Also, I get a creaking sound from the front when light braking. But it's not a brakes issue, because if the car is in Park or Neutral I can hit the brakes all I want and the noise doesn't happen. So it must be a suspension issue from the weight transfer of braking. Any common issues worth checking?

Thanks in advance, seems like a good bunch of forums!

350rs
08-13-2011, 03:03 AM
about the plugs. ive never moved anything. if your reach is long enough and you have the ability ( not everyone does..) to "see with your hands" its still an easy job. i just reach around back from the side and see with my eyes to do the job.

AaronGTR
08-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Nah, you don't want to start removing engine mounts and things. That's waaaaaay more work. In fact, I have no idea why anyone would even tell you to do that. Easiest way I've found is to remove the ignition control module with the coils on it. That gives you plenty of room to work and you can kinda see back there. Mostly it's all done be feel though . You can just unplug the spark plug wires from the spark plugs and leave them on the coils. Unplug the three connectors from the harness to the ICM. Two bolts at the front and two nuts on the back of the plate, and the whole thing lifts off. Getting to the rear plugs on these is actually easier than on a 3800 powered car because the cylinder bank angle is narrower.

For bushings, try gmpartsdirect.com or rockauto.com.

ENDEE666
08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, the engine mount thing turned out to be something I read on the older GA with the 3.1. Gonna take a stab at the rear plugs today with my dentist mirror thing & some socket joints & extensions. Hope for the best..

AaronGTR
08-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Don't even need any joints. One 3/8" drive spark plug socket, one 3/8 medium extension (4" I think they are?), one 3/8 drive ratchet. That's it. :thumbs:

ENDEE666
08-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Wow. Once the coil packs were out, it was quite easy indeed!! Awesome. Still a bit of "sight by feel" but not bad at all. Less than 45 min total. Thx for the help!