How do you remove Door Glass [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove Door Glass

chevyreb
08-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Did a search but came up sun roof and window clips etc...

I have a busted window pass side front door and need to get info on how to remove and install the window glass. Anyone got tips for this so I can goto pull-a-part and get one out please?

Thanks

Jake
08-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Remove door panel, roll the window down halfway, remove the bolts that are holding the regulator to the plastic clips that are attached to the window, roll window all the way down, lift the glass out so the rear of the glass is facing up and the front of the glass is facing down, been years since I've done it but I believe it's that easy.

chevyreb
08-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks so the mirror and weather strip does not have to be removed even?

Jake
08-14-2011, 09:05 PM
The mirror no the weather stripping I don't remember 100% but I don't believe so.

cutlsp
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
The inside belt weather-striping pops off easy you might want to pop that off to make sure the points that connect to the new window don't break off.

chevyreb
08-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys.

My car is a 2002...

what all years are the same for windows. Local yard has an 03 and 05. Another one farther away has a 2k and 01. Need to know which years will work so I can pull the right one.

Thanks

Y2KGA
08-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys.

My car is a 2002...

what all years are the same for windows. Local yard has an 03 and 05. Another one farther away has a 2k and 01. Need to know which years will work so I can pull the right one.

Thanks

AFAIK if the car is the same body type (coupe or sedan) it will fit regardless of the year. You will also be able to use an alero's glass if you can find it. I had to replace my drivers side window on my 2000 SE coupe. I ended up with a window from a 99 alero coupe. My car has power windows and the alero didn't. Window was still a perfect fit.

My window was completely broken so I didn't need to remove it. To install it, I had to take off the run channel (weather stripping felt) around the door. You need to take off the mirror as it holds the run channel in place. I think I also needed to remove the back metal trim piece that runs vertically on the other side of the door. You then lower the window onto the regulator and reinstall the run channel.

The hardest part is getting the run channel back in correctly. Use the other side as a reference to make sure it looks right. I had to adjust it because I was getting wind noise.

If your window was completely broken (like mine was), make sure you vacuum the bottom of the door. Open and close it a few times to make sure you got all the glass out before you close it up. There is a plastic stop at the bottom of the door, you should remove it so you can get all the glass out.

Let me know if you have any questions. I did this in February so its still sort of fresh in my mind.