Rear passenger floor VERY wet after heavy rain [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear passenger floor VERY wet after heavy rain

ENDEE666
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Car is an 00 3.4L SE Coupe. Rear pass floor was SOAKED after driving in very heavy rain the past 2 days. Like 1/4-1/2" of water, visibly puddled. Nothing else was wet. Seat, roof & sides of floor all seemed fine. Just the floor was wet. I did go thru some big puddles, and the rain was very heavy. The floor plugs seemed fine.

Any common issues that would lead to this? It doesn't seem to have leaked in from above, since the ceiling, seat, etc were all dry. I guess it must have been forced up from the floor or something?

Any ideas? I haven't had this car long, so I don't know if this is a new issue or what..

350rs
08-15-2011, 08:22 PM
crawl under it and check for rust holes and make sure the "plugs" are in place. i dont know for sure but i think there is one in that area.

ENDEE666
08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
No rust holes, and there is 2 plugs. They are both in tact. I peeled back the carpet & the plugs look to have never been touched. Still sealed.

boost21
08-15-2011, 08:46 PM
The carpet is water proof as far as I remember. If the water is on top its coming from that side, if its below its on the floor side.

boost21
08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
If you have a sunroof check the drains in the rear two corners. They run down the rear pillars and when they clog this can happen.

AaronGTR
08-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Make sure the weather seals around the doors are still intact. Also pull off the inside door panel and check the plastic seal that is supposed to be stuck down over the holes in the outer door. Sometimes the putty that holds that plastic comes unstuck or gets dried out and the plastic pulls away. Sometimes that will let water that runs down the window and inside the door get inside the car and run into the carpet.

ENDEE666
08-15-2011, 10:04 PM
The carpet is water proof as far as I remember. If the water is on top its coming from that side, if its below its on the floor side.

Good point & makes sense. When I shop vac'ed it out, I then peeled back the carpet and its dry underneath. So that eliminates the floor..

speedfreak1
08-15-2011, 10:57 PM
If you have a sunroof check the drains in the rear two corners. They run down the rear pillars and when they clog this can happen.

had this problem last summer. drivers side was flooding. took the hose off the sunroof drains and blew them out with shop air.

boost21
08-15-2011, 11:28 PM
had this problem last summer. drivers side was flooding. took the hose off the sunroof drains and blew them out with shop air.

They are removable? Educate me please haha I blew mine out on the car a year ago and it worked but the car has started to do it again and my old method isn't working.

MAC the KNIFE
08-16-2011, 02:03 PM
iirc, the rear drains on the sunroof exit through the sidewalls of the trunk. terminating at two rubber "L" fittings. at least, i'm pretty darn sure that's what those two lines are for lol

eBandit
08-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Make sure the weather seals around the doors are still intact. Also pull off the inside door panel and check the plastic seal that is supposed to be stuck down over the holes in the outer door. Sometimes the putty that holds that plastic comes unstuck or gets dried out and the plastic pulls away. Sometimes that will let water that runs down the window and inside the door get inside the car and run into the carpet.

The plastic seal inside the door you mentioned is what (if I remember correctly) caused my floor to get very wet in the rear pass. after heavy rain. I made sure it was all in place and it never got wet again. Of course found the info to check that on here ;-)

Was tired of taking the shop vac to my floor.

speedfreak1
08-24-2011, 10:42 AM
They are removable? Educate me please haha I blew mine out on the car a year ago and it worked but the car has started to do it again and my old method isn't working.

I didnt take mine out of the car. just unhooked them from the sunroof track and used shop air to blow them out.