push start ignition wiring [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : push start ignition wiring

SevereDevil
08-22-2011, 01:05 PM
i just bought a push start off ebay, its chinese and the instructions r too. which sucks. anyone know how i would wire this engine push start? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250874725129

appreciated

AaronGTR
08-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Question is, why would you?

It's made in China, and you would have to hack apart your ignition harness to make it work, just to do the same thing your key already does... and you'll still need the key in and turned on in order for it to work. Sounds like a waste of time to me, and just asking for problems later on when it breaks.

icecats87
08-22-2011, 06:37 PM

It's made in China, and you would have to hack apart your ignition harness to make it work, just to do the same thing your key already does... and you'll still need the key in and turned on in order for it to work. Sounds like a waste of time to me, and just asking for problems later on when it breaks.

This, push to start buttons on a grand am are dumb just use your key

SevereDevil
08-23-2011, 03:24 PM

is it possible i could make it not need a key? like wire a toggle switch for the acc and on? and remove the key ignition completely, of course i would hide the toggle switch so noone could just break in and steal it.

AaronGTR
08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Even if you hide the switch... if you remove the key you make it ten times easier for someone to steal it.

Again, I think you are wanting to go to a whole lot of work for nothing.

street_fire
08-23-2011, 06:34 PM
i thought about doin the push button start for my GA but then read about it.... Not worth my time to find out what wire is what, hack the harness to ****, try and make it work then find a good place to put the button at. All that work for a push button mod and u still need use the key... Trust me not worth the time or money.

[ChaosweaveR]
08-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Absolutely useless. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

SevereDevil
08-23-2011, 11:46 PM
again like i said, make it so the key is not needed. remove the ignition completely and extend the wire harness to hidden switch and a push button to replace. i live in Clarence NY, if noone here knows the area, there all rich old people, my car doors always unlocked, i have a spare key in the center console, u can push my apt door open, no knob. nvr been robbed, not worried abt it anyway. lol i just want a cool lookin push start. i have the time and the money. just wondering where i can get a wiring diagram...

[ChaosweaveR]
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
again like i said, make it so the key is not needed. remove the ignition completely and extend the wire harness to hidden switch and a push button to replace. i live in Clarence NY, if noone here knows the area, there all rich old people, my car doors always unlocked, i have a spare key in the center console, u can push my apt door open, no knob. nvr been robbed, not worried abt it anyway. lol i just want a cool lookin push start. i have the time and the money. just wondering where i can get a wiring diagram...

But WHY? Aaron has already stated it's a TON of effort for a feature that is 100% useless. Eliminating a key from a car's ignition system is hands down the stupidest thing you can do. Might as well label it a ricer mod, because there is NO beneficial use from doing this mod.

boost21
08-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Stick on vents > push button start

Pauljp
08-24-2011, 09:36 AM
The first thing that I would do is bypass the Passlock system.
There is a great write up on this site on how to do that.
That will disable the key-in-ignition sensor.
You would then need a toggle switch for Accessory and Main Power.
Maybe a nice lighted double-pole/double-throw switch that would fool the car into thinking that the key is in and in the ON position.
Then the lighted push-to-start button mounted where the ignition used to be, spliced into the start wire of the old ignition wiring.
To turn the car off of course, simply turn off the Main Power switch.
Of course, I haven't looked into the schematics of this, and I'm just thinking off the top of my head.
There may be issues that are unforeseen on this mod, so you will have to figure it out as you go.
I know the opinions of everyone here on this subject, but if you want to do it, why not?
Good luck and show us pics when it is done, or a short video.

westerndragon
08-24-2011, 10:23 AM
get yourself a haynes or chiltons for cheap they have diagrams in them and i also say its dumb and i have a christmas engine.....

SevereDevil
08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
The first thing that I would do is bypass the Passlock system.
There is a great write up on this site on how to do that.
That will disable the key-in-ignition sensor.
You would then need a toggle switch for Accessory and Main Power.
Maybe a nice lighted double-pole/double-throw switch that would fool the car into thinking that the key is in and in the ON position.
Then the lighted push-to-start button mounted where the ignition used to be, spliced into the start wire of the old ignition wiring.
To turn the car off of course, simply turn off the Main Power switch.
Of course, I haven't looked into the schematics of this, and I'm just thinking off the top of my head.
There may be issues that are unforeseen on this mod, so you will have to figure it out as you go.
I know the opinions of everyone here on this subject, but if you want to do it, why not?
Good luck and show us pics when it is done, or a short video.

thats exactly what im talkin about! i have alrdy bybassed the keyinignition sensor and i have the toggle for the acc and on, and its gonna be mounted under the driver seat. then the push start will be replacing the ignition. my buddy wired this in his honda prelude, he wired it to his touch dvd player and his push start is actually locked by the settings of his dvd player and a 5digit code must be entered before the push start gets power. not getting into that much because hes been through bmw training and knows that ****. im just trying to do something simple.

SevereDevil
08-28-2011, 11:18 AM
ok so i got a wiring diagram off google. now the
Constant 12V+ Red (2) Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Yellow Ignition Switch Harness or Top Harness going through Firewall
Ignition Pink Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 Dark Green Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory Orange Ignition Switch Harness

now if i touch the starter(yellow) and ignition(pink) together the car starts up, now when i wire the push button i got on ****ty ****ty bang bang ebay. nothing. i wired the red n blk to + and - and then the 2 blue to the yellow n pink. nothing happens when i push the button. ive switched them around and tried a bunch of possibilites but still nothing. i think an actual push button not from ****ty ebay would be better. even if it doesnt light up. anyone know what the prob could be?

eckoxl
08-28-2011, 01:22 PM
here.
http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK103B.html

MAC the KNIFE
08-28-2011, 04:53 PM
if i had a manual transmission, then i'd like to have a push-start button integrated on the gear stick or steering wheel, where my thumbs could hit it quickly when i stalled the engine, instead of fumbling to twist the key, and removing a hand from the wheel or stick.

rocketfast123
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTv8zf4EhjE&feature=channel_video_title

made a start/stop circuit that use's the alternater to stop the start cycle, when the engine is running, and change the switch to a ECU ignition switch power cut circuit to turn the engine off.

made by copying the circuit of the stock cruise control switch latching relay . and making my own dual latching relay circuit, and a DPDT relay to control the two latches to change the mode of the hazard switch

Antrc
11-27-2011, 07:49 PM
I recently thought about putting a push start in my GA. If I would do this, I would set it up so I would not have to use the key again since I only use the key to turn on and start the car. I guess the key does provide a bit more security however since you can't take off the bezel around the key and stereo without the key (if someone was trying to hotwire the car or something like that). My car alarm is supposed to disable the ignition system if someone broke in so without disabling the car alarm, the car can't be started anyways though.

sledtrash
11-30-2011, 11:30 AM
ok so i got a wiring diagram off google. now the
Constant 12V+ Red (2) Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Yellow Ignition Switch Harness or Top Harness going through Firewall
Ignition Pink Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition 2 Dark Green Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory Orange Ignition Switch Harness

now if i touch the starter(yellow) and ignition(pink) together the car starts up, now when i wire the push button i got on ****ty ****ty bang bang ebay. nothing. i wired the red n blk to + and - and then the 2 blue to the yellow n pink. nothing happens when i push the button. ive switched them around and tried a bunch of possibilites but still nothing. i think an actual push button not from ****ty ebay would be better. even if it doesnt light up. anyone know what the prob could be?

To start the car you will have to have a lead off of the red going into the push switch, and the yellow starter wire coming out. On the on/off master switch you'll need a power in from a red wire, then the HG wires that are supposed to have power when the key is on going out.

Now if you want to do a system where you still have an accessory switch and then a on off switch, what you'll need to do is hook all of the wires back up to your stock switch turn the key to accessory find out which wires have power (besides the basic Hot red in's) The wires that have power when the acc is on will need to be hooked up to the Acc switch the you install. The wires that become hot when you turn the key to the "On position will need to be hooked up to the on switch. You could get a switch that is a Off-On-On so that you could toggle to the middle postion for ACC then the top position for ON. The wire which is the Yellow on the harness will only have power when the key is turned to the start position.

Good luck man who cares if you want a Push button. It's your car all the more power to you!!! Hope I made some sense on the wiring stuff

slw240sx
11-30-2011, 04:55 PM
a customer of ours designs and builds pushbutton start systems that are similar to whats used in modern push to start setups.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/images/web_PB50.jpg

Kptechnologies push start setup (http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/18)