Fuel Gauge stuck at half [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge stuck at half

linebacker_47
08-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I replaced the fuel pump about a week ago and since than my fuel gauge has been stuck at 1/2 a tank. I know i hooked everything up correctly and have no idea why it does not work. The only thing i have noticed and i dont even know if this could cause a problem is the little metal flap that sits behind the fuel cap seemed to have broken within the last week or so and half of it is missing, Its likely that when i put gas in half of that metal flap fell into filler line and is now somewhere in the gas tank, could this cause any problems with the fuel level sensor? Also is there any simple fixes i can try, like hitting the tank with a mallet? ive already tried disconnected the battery.

nolimit
08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Someone chime in if I am wrong, but I just ran into this problem myself. it's either one of two things

Before installing the fuel pump did you hook up the pump and have someone move the float with the key on to make sure the sending unit is working correctly. Could be bad out of the box seen it happen
Or, you did like I did and you have your pump turned wrong and when you try filling your tank over half tank your float is hitting the square moulding of the blue vent in the tank. reach your hand inside the tank. You will feel what I am talking about. I turned mine the other way and worked.