S&S headers on a 3500? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : S&S headers on a 3500?

G.I.Ceo
08-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Well I have been tossing the idea up of finding a 3500 motor and rebuilding and swapping my 3400 for it. I know pretty much everything is the same and I know exactly how to do it. The question I have and could not find a answer too is, will my S&S headers work on 3500 swap or will I need new ones? If I cannot use them then I see absolutely no reason for going through with this.

MAC the KNIFE
08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
i know the ss headers will work just fine on 3500 heads.
i bet they'll be fine on top of the 3500 block.

HOYS
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
The exhaust port on a 3500 is slightly bigger but 3400 headers should be just fine.

G.I.Ceo
08-31-2011, 08:09 PM
^ I hope so because that's been the only thing that has stopped me for going to look for a motor. Is the swap really worth doing? I have heard a lot of good things about the 3500 but not many people have I seen do it. I was thinking of getting one and putting it on a stand and start to build one up. I really would like to turbo a 3500 but I don't know enough about turbos and I really don't want to spend the $4500 for the kit that Milzy has. I know that his kit is worth the money but I'm thinking I could have one done myself for about half the cost. The only thing is doing the headers and down pipe to make it work.

young gun
08-31-2011, 10:10 PM
^ I hope so because that's been the only thing that has stopped me for going to look for a motor. Is the swap really worth doing? I have heard a lot of good things about the 3500 but not many people have I seen do it. I was thinking of getting one and putting it on a stand and start to build one up. I really would like to turbo a 3500 but I don't know enough about turbos and I really don't want to spend the $4500 for the kit that Milzy has. I know that his kit is worth the money but I'm thinking I could have one done myself for about half the cost. The only thing is doing the headers and down pipe to make it work.

I would rather die then drive a 3.4 GA again, love my very lightly modded 3.5.... unless this 3.4 was aaron's or schweppes :P but i believe that is completely different

HOYS
09-01-2011, 12:19 AM

The headers are a big part of the kit for sure.

You really have to keep in mind that EVERYTHING you need is in that kit minus fuel upgrades.

MAC the KNIFE
09-01-2011, 05:15 AM

i refer you to my current signature.
Originally Posted by eckoxl View Post
please for the love of god do not turbo your car without knowing anything. it was the worst thing i ever did.

i'm using that quote because i came close to buying a d-i-y turbo, and i'm glad i didn't.
that being said, i believe boost is the way to go. you can dump plenty of money on a n/a build and it'll maybe do 250whp. thought about nitrous but the problem with n2o, it runs out quick, fooling with bottle refills, and getting out of the car to turn it on. be patient, learn all you can about boost builds on the ga and other cars too.

stewartfn18
09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
youll be fine. im using them on a 3500 top swap. i will say though that i think the neck on the LIM of the 3500 is a bit longer. the tstat housing touches the collector on the crossover.

MAC the KNIFE
09-01-2011, 05:16 PM
^ did you ever have your ss headers installed on a 3400 LIM? i know what you're talking about, where the t-stat housing has about a 1/4"clearance away from the headers. was it that bad on the 3400 LIM too?

G.I.Ceo
09-01-2011, 07:12 PM
The headers are a big part of the kit for sure.

You really have to keep in mind that EVERYTHING you need is in that kit minus fuel upgrades. Yeah I know it does but I really like being able to figure things out myself and I know I can do it. I wish I could build the headers myself or have my S&S ones modified to work. I have a buddy that is a excellent welder and i know he could do it but the mock up time might just be better buying them built already. Do you think Milzy would modify my headers that I have now for a good cost?

i refer you to my current signature.

i'm using that quote because i came close to buying a d-i-y turbo, and i'm glad i didn't.
that being said, i believe boost is the way to go. you can dump plenty of money on a n/a build and it'll maybe do 250whp. thought about nitrous but the problem with n2o, it runs out quick, fooling with bottle refills, and getting out of the car to turn it on. be patient, learn all you can about boost builds on the ga and other cars too.
I thought about doing nitrous too and i still might do it if I cant figure out how to build a turbo system. I would really like to do it though.
youll be fine. im using them on a 3500 top swap. i will say though that i think the neck on the LIM of the 3500 is a bit longer. the tstat housing touches the collector on the crossover.
I have this issue now with a 3400 LIM and I think because of this its causing my car to run a little warmer because of the collector pipe laying right next to the thermostat housing. I see temps around 220 when I am in stop and go traffic and stays on average around 190-200.

AaronGTR
09-02-2011, 07:25 AM
You won't be able to modify the headers you have for a turbo. The rear design is totally different from what is needed. You could possibly use the front, but the rear would have to be all new. You'd be better off selling the S&S headers for some cash and having all new turbo manifolds made. If that's what you really want to do, you can get decent results and do it much more cheaply with less mock up time involved if you make some log manifolds like Tejohnson did. I'd really do some research before deciding to do that though. Boost is a whole new ball game on these cars and really involves a lot more money and knowledge required.

street_fire
09-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm been thinking about doin the 3500 swap and wanting if you can use 3400 headers if i decied to put a SC on???

G.I.Ceo
09-02-2011, 01:42 PM
You won't be able to modify the headers you have for a turbo. The rear design is totally different from what is needed. You could possibly use the front, but the rear would have to be all new. You'd be better off selling the S&S headers for some cash and having all new turbo manifolds made. If that's what you really want to do, you can get decent results and do it much more cheaply with less mock up time involved if you make some log manifolds like Tejohnson did. I'd really do some research before deciding to do that though. Boost is a whole new ball game on these cars and really involves a lot more money and knowledge required.

Is their anywhere you can recommend for researching boost or just using good old google? I had someone show me some books that were on boost research and research I am really good at. I don't mind doing the research and taking on projects that are out of my knowledge because that IMO is the only way you learn. I was also looking into doing a rear mounted system because it looks easier to do plus you don't have to chop up the headers and exhaust until you hit the back. The only thing is I don't know what the performance would be from doing a front build vs. a rear build. I'm pretty sure the only thing I do know I want is a Turbonetics turbo because what I have read that they are really good.

AaronGTR
09-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Basically just have to know the basics of how the engine functions and then how the different systems operate differently when boost is applied, ie how boost changes how the engine runs. You can learn a lot just by searching online and seeing what other people have done with custom turbo setups and what their results where. You can find online articles, and some good magazine articles that are online sometimes too, that cover the basics of turbo charging. Then there is good ol reading.

One of the best books out there is Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. If you can read and understand all of that, you'll be able to design a turbo system for just about anything. Another good one is Street Turbocharging by Mark Warner. I also have books on superchargers, intake and exhaust design, nitrous oxide systems, engine management system. Even stereos, interior modifications, paint and body work, composites... there is a book out there for just about anything you want to learn and they are great resources. ;)

HOYS
09-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I've learned a lot from Maxium Boost and Street Turbocharging for sureee.

G.I.Ceo
09-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Basically just have to know the basics of how the engine functions and then how the different systems operate differently when boost is applied, ie how boost changes how the engine runs. You can learn a lot just by searching online and seeing what other people have done with custom turbo setups and what their results where. You can find online articles, and some good magazine articles that are online sometimes too, that cover the basics of turbo charging. Then there is good ol reading.

One of the best books out there is Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. If you can read and understand all of that, you'll be able to design a turbo system for just about anything. Another good one is Street Turbocharging by Mark Warner. I also have books on superchargers, intake and exhaust design, nitrous oxide systems, engine management system. Even stereos, interior modifications, paint and body work, composites... there is a book out there for just about anything you want to learn and they are great resources. ;)Yeah those are the books that I heard about and almost bought them not to long ago. I was told to buy Maximum Boost and Street Turbo charging and those would have the info that I needed in them. Will those books have the info for Fuel Management or should I get a book on that too? I heard they are packed with a lot of great info.

AaronGTR
09-03-2011, 08:36 PM
They've got most anything you'd need to know. Anything else you can find here or elsewhere on the net.

G.I.Ceo
09-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Well I am going to order Street Turbocharging this week. Even if I don't hook up the GA with boost I will have a good understanding of how it works when I finally do it. No matter what the vehicle I will make my own boost setup but I still would love to do it with my GA. I guess we shall she holds up till then. I still to this day want to build a 72 C10 truck or a 90 454SS. How about building one of those with some boost love?