99 GAGT burning LOTS of coolant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GAGT burning LOTS of coolant

KillNThrill24
09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
i swear im spending as much on gas as coolant nowadays and its beginning to be enough lol. im guessing by the fact that theres no coolant all over the engine bay that its probably that dam LIM gasket. wouldnt be surprised if it is because every couple days the tank is empty. iv gotten to the point where i dont fill it anymore its just too expensive to keep it full.

the radiator fans also dont kick in by themselves so i ran wiring and installed a switch under my dash for the fans so i can manually use them. not sure if it has anything to do with the coolant but you never know. i replaced the fuses/relays for BOTH fans and neither work.

thermo was replaced i wanna say ~40k ago probably less tho. not sure if theres smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes or not but last i checked there wasnt (i havent checked in months tho). i hav my camaro to drive so if its something major im not too concerned. i have a fairly large amount of mechanical inclination so no matter what it its i will do myself. any input would be helpful :D

184k miles (shes a beast)
2 door black coupe
aftermarket intake
everything else, mechanically, pretty much stock

chris_gt_74
09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Is your oil and water mixing? If you can't find any leaks in the system, have you tried bleeding it? Air will displace a lot of coolant if it's present in the system. Also it's possible your leaking into a cylinder. I had it happen on cylinder #1. But I had rough idle at times and also got a cylinder misfire code a couple of times before I decided to tear into the engine and fix it. Mine was pressurizing the coolant system with exhaust.

KillNThrill24
09-02-2011, 06:30 PM
i have not tried bleeding it. it doesnt hold coolant long enough TO bleed it XP
i dont think its leaking into a cylinder like you said you get a rough idle and occasional code, which i i havent had an issue with. it just empties so fast im at a loss for what could be the issue other than that gasket

AaronGTR
09-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Gee, you think that might be a sign to STOP driving it? If you drive around with the coolant empty it's going to overheat and do even more damage.

I'd be more willing to bet it's a head gasket and not the LIM gasket. LIM gasket leaks don't cause coolant to burn, only head gaskets do that. Bad LIM gaskets usually have coolant leaking on the outside of the engine, or sometimes into the oil galley and from there into the pan. So either there would be a puddle of coolant under your car, or your oil pan would be full of coolant which is also going to cause damage to your bearings and another reason you should stop driving it. Check under the oil fill cap and on your dipstip and see if you see any light brown/orangish foam or residue, because oil gets milky when you add coolant to it. If it's not that, then it's probably the head gaskets. Coolant would have to be burning off at a pretty good rate to empty the tank every couple days though and you should have noticed smoke coming out the exhaust. Sometimes it over pressurizes the cooling system too and will leak out the over flow tube on the tank. Pull the spark plug and check those. If you are burning that much coolant you should see it on the plugs.

KillNThrill24
09-03-2011, 01:43 PM
well from jerry rigging the fans to kick on when i want them to it prevents the engine from going over 200. the dipstick did show some rather orangish/brown coloring and had some residue on it.. iv decided to pickup a gasket kit that has the LIM gasket and head gaskets and just do it all at once. also getting the head studs as iv heard they should be replaced at the same time. im HOPING this will fix it. will post back in a couple days after i replace everything to update. Aaron if theres anything else i should know do let me know and thanks for the input!

AaronGTR
09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, the heads have bolts, not studs... but yes, they are torque to yield and should be replaced any time you take the heads off. Definitely sounds like you've got coolant in the oil pan which would point to a bad LIM gasket. It's possible the head gaskets could be bad too. Only way to tell for sure is do a compression test. If you've already got the gaskets and bolts though you might as well replace them. The majority of the work is getting the lower intake off. Once all that is off, it's a very short task to take the heads off too. Just remember the pushrods are too different lengths for intake and exhaust, and have to go back in the correct positions. Might want to lay them out in order on a paper towel or something when you take them out.

KillNThrill24
09-04-2011, 04:00 PM
yupp got them all laid out in the order they came off. i heard it doesnt matter for the rocker arms but just to be safe i went ahead and laid those out accordingly as well.

and yeah i meant head bolts lol. i kinda figured they were torque to yield as it seems like most cars are.

i currently have the car on jack stands with the engine in a hundred pieces in my garage. just finished cleaning upper and lower intakes, and valve covers.

now the heads had a very metallic looking orange color to them. well the rear one did anyway. and the rear one also barely had any gunk in it while the front was FULL of gunk. which means LIM? since the kit i got came with upper and lower intake gaskets, head gaskets, and manifold gaskets i figure i might as well do them all now while the cars apart than to wait and have something happen 10k down the road lol. any methods for cleaning the heads i should know about?

and there are also 2 broken studs in the front head on the far left side for the ex manifold. the head in that area is black as can be meaning theyve been broken off for awhile. this is the first time iv done any sort of major engine work to this car so i know for a fact i didnt break them lol. so my old man and i gotta get them out and replaced tomorrow (thats his area of expertise not mine :p).

i basically want this thing to run as close to new as possible when im done so i want to take the time to do everything RIGHT rather than rush through and have problems. and when i get it done i want to know if i should start running synthetic seeing as ive torn the engine down and cleaned it? thanks for the help again Aaron. ill keep posting as i progress

cutlsp
09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Take the heads into a machine shop to have them checked.