Anyone running a non-oem starter? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a non-oem starter?

boost21
09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
My starter is starting to go out and I would like to replace before it leaves me stranded. I don't want to spend a lot because I am not keeping the car much longer but I don't want to get some POS that will break on me. Will these cheap ones on ebay, rock auto, autozone be dependable?

KillNThrill24
09-04-2011, 08:11 PM
if your just looking for a starter to get you by for a little while to you get another car, autozone has what you need. we replaced my buddys on his 97 malibu about a year ago with a duralast from autozone and it still works like a charm

cutlsp
09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
At least if you get it from Autozone they test your old starter to make sure its bad before selling you a new one. They are required to test the old starter.

mfuller
09-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I use a Duralast Gold starter. Works perfect.

HOYS
09-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm running an older style OEM 60deg starter...the big old fat ones.

Never had a problem.

boost21
09-04-2011, 08:41 PM
At least if you get it from Autozone they test your old starter to make sure its bad before selling you a new one. They are required to test the old starter.

I already know the starter is going out. I had to tap it with a hammer today to get the thing free and start my car. It has been working since but I would rather do preventative maintenance before getting stranded.

eckoxl
09-04-2011, 08:45 PM
autozone. :)

cutlsp
09-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I already know the starter is going out. I had to tap it with a hammer today to get the thing free and start my car. It has been working since but I would rather do preventative maintenance before getting stranded.

Its their company policy to test all the cores before selling you a new starter. Just saying they will test it for you. The best part about an autozone starter is you have a local store to take it to if it fails again.

Malaclypse
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Its their company policy to test all the cores before selling you a new starter. Just saying they will test it for you. The best part about an autozone starter is you have a local store to take it to when it fails again.

Fixed.

cutlsp
09-04-2011, 09:41 PM
lol My mom's truck had an autozone starter in it that lasted over 10 years before it failed. Plus he said he is getting rid of the car soon. So the likely hood of it failing again is low. As long as it is installed properly it won't fail again before he sells the car.

boost21
09-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah as long as the starter/car can get through this winter I could care less how much longer it works. The starter is easy enough to get to on these cars but I don't want to be doing it in the cold winter

Malaclypse
09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I've had bad luck with autozone parts sometimes. Alternators and starters in particular.

Sometimes they last forever... sometimes you get about a year out of them.

boost21
09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I would rather keep my OEM starter that still functions as a spare. Might order one off rock auto or ebay since there is no core charge. That way if the newer one fails I can still put my original back in for temp use. It still works but every so often the thing sticks and I need to free it up.