speed sensor keeps failing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : speed sensor keeps failing

DucksInARow
09-05-2011, 05:38 PM
The speed sensor on my driver-side front wheel keeps failing. The symptoms are, "Service Vehicle Soon", "ABS", and "Trac Off" lights all turn on at the same time. After replacing the hub assembly the problem goes away for about 3 or 4 months, then it starts happening again.

The frequency with which the lights turn on starts out low....they will only turn on once a week or so. Gradually it increases, and the lights start coming on every day.

I've had to replace this hub assembly 3 times in the last year.

Is there something that can cause this car to eat speed sensors this way?
Maybe some part of the electrical system that is feeding too much power to it, or some seal that starts leaking and allows water to get in somewhere? Anything? I live in southern California so typically the climate is warm and dry.

Fireball
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of hubs are you replacing them with?
This type of behavior is common with the cheap ones..

It could be something else too though...

HOYS
09-05-2011, 09:14 PM
This makes me wonder about mine sensors.

I keep getting the same lights randomly, I would restart the car and it would go away. I chalked it up to a BCM going bad...because you know Grand Am's never have BCMs go bad :p

Now I'm going to take a look into it being the sensors.

DucksInARow
09-05-2011, 11:41 PM
The kind of sensors I've used are AC Delco rebuilds. They come with the hub assembly (to my knowledge that's the only way you can get them?)

Anyway, I read on another thread that some people have had luck with disconnecting the wiring, cleaning it, and reconnecting it. Apparently it's common for the wiring connectors to get dirty or coroded?

When I've taken them apart in the past though they've looked clean to me. Maybe I should change the wiring harness for it?

aeh5126
09-06-2011, 08:26 AM
I can confirm that. This same thing happens to me about every 6 months or so. After disconecting and clean the conections it works fine for a little while.

AaronGTR
09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
This makes me wonder about mine sensors.

I keep getting the same lights randomly, I would restart the car and it would go away. I chalked it up to a BCM going bad...because you know Grand Am's never have BCMs go bad :p

Now I'm going to take a look into it being the sensors.

Except the ABS system has nothing to do with the BCM. ;)

HOYS
09-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Except the ABS system has nothing to do with the BCM. ;)

EBCM. Sorry :)