model year problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : model year problem

KillNThrill24
09-07-2011, 11:20 PM
iv been looking around for some possible upgrades after i fix the cooling system on my GA the problem is alot of websites seem to be saying something like 96-99 then 00-05... well i know 98's were the old bodystyle but my ? is were there early 99's of the same bodystyle? i have 99 and stuff like the EGR delete from milzy says 96-99 for one style and 00-05 for the other. i have mine deleted just by capping it off but still whats the deal lol should i get 00 stuff or 96-99?

ALSO i havent done any research on the emissions aspect of it but will the EGR delete cause me to fail e-check? i got one in a couple months so if it will ill have to put it back on then take it off afterwards.

HOYS
09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
You have a 5th Gen. They ran from 99-05.

The EGR style from 96-99 was the same. Not the whole car.

KillNThrill24
09-08-2011, 12:20 AM
i knew the gen and all that jazz lol i was just thrown off by all the random things like the EGR that i see saying 96-99. its all probably the same as my 99 (ha must be the year) camaro, i see many parts saying 94-99 and 00-02 when the 98-99 are the same engine as the 00-02. thanks tho hoys ill have to keep that in mind when shopping

MAC the KNIFE
09-08-2011, 04:42 PM
the '99 has a few quirks that the others don't. we got lucky to have a tougher timing chain, but the upper intake resticted b/c of the egr design. we have cloth inserts in the door panels, later ones have vinyl. there are more differences, but that's all i remember atm.

the shift pressure on the transmission was less on the 99. but your's might have had the trans replaced already (i drove it awful hard when i was younger, it broke around 60k) and then it would likely have the higher shift pressure.

AaronGTR
09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah, the platform is the same, but there are lots of little differences between the years. 98 and earlier had a 3100 engine and 99+ had a 3400, but the late model 3100's had the large runner intake manifolds and were essentially exactly the same as the early 3400's except for the number cast on top. The design of the EGR port and the EGR valve changed between 99 and 00, as well as fuel injectors and other little things.

As for deleting the EGR, there's not really much to gain by doing that on a mostly stock car. It won't hurt you terribly either, but if you delete you should have the PCM reprogrammed for it, and yes it will show a trouble code in the PCM and fail an emissions check unless you have the PCM programmed to disable those codes.

KillNThrill24
09-09-2011, 12:03 AM
the '99 has a few quirks that the others don't. we got lucky to have a tougher timing chain, but the upper intake resticted b/c of the egr design. we have cloth inserts in the door panels, later ones have vinyl. there are more differences, but that's all i remember atm.

the shift pressure on the transmission was less on the 99. but your's might have had the trans replaced already (i drove it awful hard when i was younger, it broke around 60k) and then it would likely have the higher shift pressure.

lol i wouldnt be surprised if my tranny had been replaced/rebuilt already. its gonna roll over to 184k on my way home from work tomorrow and im the 3rd owner i know of. my aunt bought it back in 02~3 for my cousin who beat the living hell out of it just because it she could so that right there tells me it may have been. its good to know tho if it hasnt been that they were a little tougher just because i know its history.

Yeah, the platform is the same, but there are lots of little differences between the years. 98 and earlier had a 3100 engine and 99+ had a 3400, but the late model 3100's had the large runner intake manifolds and were essentially exactly the same as the early 3400's except for the number cast on top. The design of the EGR port and the EGR valve changed between 99 and 00, as well as fuel injectors and other little things.

As for deleting the EGR, there's not really much to gain by doing that on a mostly stock car. It won't hurt you terribly either, but if you delete you should have the PCM reprogrammed for it, and yes it will show a trouble code in the PCM and fail an emissions check unless you have the PCM programmed to disable those codes.

my best friend has a 97 malibu with the 3100 in it and i have to say alot of things are completely identical on the two cars. with the exception of the UIM everything you look at seems to be the same. when we go to autozone to get parts alot of times its the same identical part. with the exception of a few things like brakes, and his exhaust is only a 2in where as i believe the GAGT's are 2.5

and honestly the only reason i rigged a delete for it is simply because when i was rebuilding everything i completely forgot to route the pipe to the UIM so when i remembered my mistake i didnt have the patience to route it up there and make the necessary bends. i was looking at milzy for their tuned PCM's and may make a purchase in the near future.. any experience with those?

MAC the KNIFE
09-09-2011, 05:34 AM
stock exhaust on a GT is 2.25"

most of the aftermarket systems for it are 2.5"

KillNThrill24
09-09-2011, 10:15 PM
so the book at autozone lied.. not surprising really. they seem to have alot wrong. i laugh at their commercials because autozone sucks lol. but nonetheless i use them anyway for the things i dont want to spend a fortune on. good info because i was thinking of hacking off the stupid resonator, thanks!

AaronGTR
09-10-2011, 09:21 AM
No experience with Milzy's PCM's (since I have a tuner and do my own tuning), but they should do fine. He's pretty much the only vendor offering tuned PCM's that you can trust now too, since MP racing has gone downhill.