Hummin noise. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hummin noise.

SevereDevil
09-10-2011, 09:48 PM
so i had a loud humming noise, at about 55 it was really noticeable, under 30 only if the radio was off, now i lifted the car and checked the tires and the right tire had some play and its also where the noise came from, so i decided the wheel bearing was bad, ordered a new one off eBay for like 40bucks and replaced it. now the axle nut was a piece of ****. someone put 4 1/8in thick nuts on it and idk but i thought it was ****ed up and hard to take off. but it did its job so i put them back on. now i test drove it and the noise is louder. and at 50 its not as loud but at 30 its terribly loud. i checked everything over twice, looks good. could it be a bad wheel bearing or maybe that wasn't it?

[ChaosweaveR]
09-10-2011, 10:08 PM
A vid on board the car while driving will greatly help...

SevereDevil
09-13-2011, 10:10 PM
ill do that when i get a chance. but i replaced the outer tie rod because it had play and the axle nut replaced and the wheel bearing. the noise isn't as much humming now as more grinding... and when i brake the grinding gets a little louder, ive checked my brakes and theres nothing wrong with them. maybe bc the right wheel is my burnout wheel the treads a little smaller... maybe it could be ****in with it. thats wht my dad said n ill rotate my tires tomorrow. n if thats not it ill post a vid.

alexmorrison06
09-13-2011, 11:54 PM
could b a locked up caliper...does ur car pull in any particular direction when u brake?

[ChaosweaveR]
09-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Grinding...you sure the caliper is clearing the wheel at all?

A frozen caliper won't make noise itself, check to see if the shims on the caliper bracket aren't dragging on the rotor. Dried out slider pins can cause that.

SevereDevil
09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
did, checked all the calipers, front and back, there good, relubed the sliders with discbrake grease. and rotated the tires. still grinding around 30mph. also i noticed that my driverside outer ball joint has no grease.. doesnt look like it was ever greased.... it was replaced last yr. wheel has no play. but i gotta grease it. donno if it could cause the noise tho.

[ChaosweaveR]
09-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Something just doesn't seem right by what you're describing...

Seriously, get a video of the grinding noise from inside.

SevereDevil
09-16-2011, 01:31 PM
u know how when a jeep wrangler with superswampers drives by their tires are really loud. that's how my car sounds. ive broken it down 2 or 3 times and looked over everything, im convinced its the cv shaft.