Converting Tire Size? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Converting Tire Size?

UndeadGods
09-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Alright guys, I'm sure that someone out there on this forum has done this before so I'm just ganna ask..

My original tire size is 225/50R16
I found some 215/45R17's and 215/40R17's for 10$ each.
A great deal..
So.. I was wondering, could I throw those tires on, providing that I get 17" rims? I haven't really been able to find an online tire size converter to double check.

Thanks!

alexmorrison06
09-13-2011, 11:39 PM
ur factory rim/tire is about 630mm in O.D.
the 215/45r17 tire is 624mm
the 215/40r17 tire is 603mm
with that being said if u have a set of 17" wheels to throw these tires on id go with the 45 series

FuriousG
09-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Check this site out: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

350rs
09-14-2011, 06:13 PM
i worked in the used tire industry for a bit. handled 10's maybe 100's of thousands of tires. Unless you know the person selling you those tires personally and you personally know they are ok, i wouldnt buy them. ill never buy a used tire just from seeing what i saw. Also, if you are stuck on getting them, best measure the tread depth on them and make sure the two fronts are exactly the same. Any difference in the height of the tire is going to make your transmission ( since this isnt a rear end i dont know the exact terms) work harder. I know in a typical "old school" rear end, if the tires are two different sizes it will have to spin one or the other sides faster to keep the car straight. Its similar to constantly doing a one wheel peel. Not as drastic obviously, but its happening. And you will wear out your tranny prematurly over time like that. Also i guess it depends how long your going to run them. Only a few weeks or maybe 2 months, wouldnt do much if any damage as long as you drive sensibly.

Not downing your choices, just giving a piece of advice is all.

[ChaosweaveR]
09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Don't buy them. Main factor is the load ratings they have, they aren't what the OEM requirements are. Get a set of 225/45 R17 or 235/45 R17 tires.

UndeadGods
09-15-2011, 08:32 AM
i worked in the used tire industry for a bit. handled 10's maybe 100's of thousands of tires. Unless you know the person selling you those tires personally and you personally know they are ok, i wouldnt buy them. ill never buy a used tire just from seeing what i saw. Also, if you are stuck on getting them, best measure the tread depth on them and make sure the two fronts are exactly the same. Any difference in the height of the tire is going to make your transmission ( since this isnt a rear end i dont know the exact terms) work harder. I know in a typical "old school" rear end, if the tires are two different sizes it will have to spin one or the other sides faster to keep the car straight. Its similar to constantly doing a one wheel peel. Not as drastic obviously, but its happening. And you will wear out your tranny prematurly over time like that. Also i guess it depends how long your going to run them. Only a few weeks or maybe 2 months, wouldnt do much if any damage as long as you drive sensibly.

Not downing your choices, just giving a piece of advice is all.

Thanks, I sell and install tires, so having sad that, I recommend my customer the same advice as you have given me. Fortunately I know that these tires are brand new, never been used, and they are from my work (we dont sell used tire) reason why they are so cheap is because Walmart discontinued getting them them.

UndeadGods
09-15-2011, 08:35 AM
;1163855']Don't buy them. Main factor is the load ratings they have, they aren't what the OEM requirements are. Get a set of 225/45 R17 or 235/45 R17 tires.

I'll keep that in mind, I prefer going with wider tires, but since I had an opportunity to grab these, I thought I'd check with you guys before doing anything.

I didn't really check the load rating but I know the speed is rated W.

[ChaosweaveR]
09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
You need at least 93, IIRC. W is fine, the General Exclaim UHPs I have are 97W, don't expect a smooth ride from such a high speed rating. lol