im guessing oil leak.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : im guessing oil leak..

KillNThrill24
09-16-2011, 05:21 PM
well here we are a week or 2 after my teardown to replace my head gaskets and for awhile things were running smooth but now it has a rough idle (only when close to temp and above, and theres no pattern to it completely random) and im thinking its leaking oil because i only park in 2 spots at my work and you can tell where iv been parking... might have to change parking lots if this keeps up boss wont be happy lol. havent had a chance to get under and look at it been super busy with work this week but it doesnt really make sense. oil is still full. dripping down somewhere in the middle of the car. any ideas or things to look at when i get a chance?

MAC the KNIFE
09-16-2011, 06:39 PM
depends on how bad (how fast) the leak is.
there are so many places it could be from, and it is usually so filthy under the car that it's hard to tell where it's from. if you want, spray some degreaser on all the filth, when the block is cold of course, then wash it off, and check it after a day or two.

i've got a slow leak around my crank accessory drive seal.
good luck and let us know!

KillNThrill24
09-16-2011, 08:34 PM
thanks MAC will do, unfortunately its not really a slow leak everytime i have the car off it leaves a spot approx. 4-5in in diameter lol. however the oil was still full last time i checked it. i dipped my finger in a puddle from earlier today just a minute ago and its oil. can tell by the smell, or lack there of. i might go get a flash light (its dark here in ohio) and see if i can see anything while its still warm, but im not gonna hold my hopes up for it being something simple like a the drain plug not being tight.

ill for surely post tho seeing as somebody down the road may have the same problem and i know from experience that referring to some old posts helps solve problems!

MAC the KNIFE
09-16-2011, 08:40 PM
damn! if it leaks that bad, you'll be able to see it.
that's how much my coolant was leaking when the head gasket went, and that's how i traced the source of the leak.

KillNThrill24
09-16-2011, 08:54 PM
well i grabbed a flashlight and caught it mid drip. now granite there is oil ALL over the place (and from the speed i drive down the backroads i wouldnt be surprised if it splattered all over everything lol) but it seems to be coming from around the oil filter.. seems to be... could it be possible the oil filter has a bad seal on it? i lubed the o-ring but still im sure problems could still occur. since i just did my head gaskets as well (i cleaned every component seeing as i had it apart, and it had 183k of gunk on it, so why not?) everything was dry of oil so i put the full 5.34 quarts of oil in that the jug had. now i know the car only needs about 4 and i believe the filter is 1? if you could verify that for future reference that would be great lol. but with those statistics that would mean there is an extra .34 quarts swimming around in the engine. is it possible that the extra oil is "draining" from somewhere? im going to re-change the oil again on monday or tuesday (seeing as those are my saturday and sundays lol) and double if not triple check everything for tightness, and not being overtightened and such and keep my fingers crossed.

ill keep ya posted!

KillNThrill24
09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
rain rain go away, come again on Wednesday.... i havent had an opportunity to go out and jack the car up to see where the oil is coming from... i found out why the idle is rough and the dam EGR wont open. which is kind of what i figured. guess ill be making a trip to the local junkyard seeing as autozone wants $90 for it.. i also decided id ask the guy if he had any idea where it may be coming from and of course he gave me the list of the hundred places it could be from lol i dont know why i ask these guys, i feel like i know more than them about too many things..

MAC the KNIFE
09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
i've got my old EGR, '99 style i can sell to ya. it was working fine when i switched to a 2000 upper manifold with the different EGR.
i've got a brand new 2000+ style EGR also.
gaskets included! lol

AaronGTR
09-19-2011, 06:34 PM
well i grabbed a flashlight and caught it mid drip. now granite there is oil ALL over the place (and from the speed i drive down the backroads i wouldnt be surprised if it splattered all over everything lol) but it seems to be coming from around the oil filter.. seems to be... could it be possible the oil filter has a bad seal on it? i lubed the o-ring but still im sure problems could still occur. since i just did my head gaskets as well (i cleaned every component seeing as i had it apart, and it had 183k of gunk on it, so why not?) everything was dry of oil so i put the full 5.34 quarts of oil in that the jug had. now i know the car only needs about 4 and i believe the filter is 1? if you could verify that for future reference that would be great lol. but with those statistics that would mean there is an extra .34 quarts swimming around in the engine. is it possible that the extra oil is "draining" from somewhere? im going to re-change the oil again on monday or tuesday (seeing as those are my saturday and sundays lol) and double if not triple check everything for tightness, and not being overtightened and such and keep my fingers crossed.

ill keep ya posted!

Oil filter is way less than one quart. It usually only takes around 4.9 quarts to fill the engine though, so it sounds to me like you might have over filled it. Still though, it wouldn't be over filled to the point that it would be leaking from somewhere it shouldn't be. So you probably still have a real leak somewhere.

KillNThrill24
09-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Update!: rain went away for today and i had time to run to the local junkyard and pickup an EGR for a whole $9! sorry MAC to good of a deal to pass up lol. but it didnt solve my idle issue im not sure where to look next. guy at autozone told me EGR wasnt opening so i replaced it and apparently its STILL not opening. checked the... eslr? fuse. cant remember what the hell its called but its 47 on the fuse box. read somewhere to check that. any insight as to where to look next would be appreciated

as for the leak, well further examination showed that i left a stinkin hose clamp off one of the coolant return lines on the back of the engine, the same line that i blew out of the back of my engine for not bolting it to the head only this time it was the hose on the back of it not the steel tube.. see if I ever work on a car while being tired again... everything seemed ok for a sec or two then we saw mass amounts of coolant leaking beneath the car right behind the passenger tire. at that point i knew exactly what was going on.. my coolant tank cracked for a whopping THIRD time. only this time it cracked not exploded like the last two times. whats the deal anyone else have these issues?

hoping to get to autozone tomorrow before i go to work and see if they honor existing warranties by looking them up since i have since lost the receipt for the tank. this car is driving me up one wall and down another

MAC the KNIFE
09-21-2011, 06:08 AM
problem at idle, might be the IAC on the throttle body. i changed mine and it didn't help immediately, but a few days later after driving on the freeway, it fixed itself.
then i read somewhere that the IAC resets itself after going over 60mph. that's what happened to me.

but my IAC problem was a crazy high idle. like 3k rpm idle!

never heard of messed up coolant resevoirs. certainly not 3. maybe a messed up cap on the tank, but not the tank itself.

Starglow
09-21-2011, 06:55 AM
guy at autozone told me EGR wasnt opening so i replaced it and apparently its STILL not opening. checked the... eslr? fuse.

How the heck does he know the EGR isn't opening? Did he actually look at the car or is he just guessing? The engine will usually stall if the EGR valve doesn't open based on my experience with a bad EGR.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? That will also cause a rough idle condition.
In regards to your coolant tank cracking, that's just plain weird. Sounds like you're getting too much pressure build-up in the tank, so I'd try replacing the reservoir cap because they are notorious for going bad.

KillNThrill24
09-21-2011, 10:02 PM
but my IAC problem was a crazy high idle. like 3k rpm idle!

never heard of messed up coolant resevoirs. certainly not 3. maybe a messed up cap on the tank, but not the tank itself.

holy crap! mine did that for awhile and i know it was SO bad i had to shut it off at red lights because my foot had to put the brake pedal through the floor to keep it from taking off haha and starting after the light turns green is another story.. if my foot was tired id just let it go. so i know EXACTLY what you mean lol!

and yupp ive heard of caps as well, and not the tank. guess i just have that kind of luck! that or its that jap crap they keep giving me...

and starglow apparently the obdII reader told him that because he plugged it in and that was the first thing out of his mouth "EGR valve isnt opening" he seems to be the go to guy for the other employees up there so im thinking he may have a lick of knowledge :p