Stuck wheels [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stuck wheels

Amandaz
09-17-2011, 06:16 PM
So, after my GA being out of commission for coming on 2 years this October, I decided im finally going to replace my engine. For being 2 years since it was last started, it started and my guy friend and I got it out of my 2nd driveway, of course without hesitation it stalled with the nose facing the incline of my street, no biggie.. but.. We went to go move it back down so itd be against the wall near my lawn and realized the back wheels are stuck and will not turn. Obviously the front turn since it is FWD but.. we cannot get the rear to turn to be able to atleast push it into place closer to the wall. Both of us tried to push it and since the wheels are locked, the car goes nowhere.

I am wondering if anyone has any type of solution other than having it brought to a garage? It is not an option at the moment but I figure somebody on here must have some type of 'do it yourself' solution to fix the issue for the time being so we can move it around a little and get it ready to be brought for a new engine. Thank you much and I appreciate any replies.

AaronGTR
09-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Well, since it's been sitting so long something could be frozen with rust. Either the brake pads are stuck to the rotors, or the drums inside the rotors are rusted and the parking brake shoes are keeping them from turning, or the wheel bearings themselves.

If you can get a jack under it and lift it up, and if you can get the wheels off, you could try hammering on the rotor drum to knock off any loose rust and hopefully break it free. Might also try soaking any rusty area that looks suspect with some PB blaster or WD40. You might end up needing to replace some of those parts, but that's one idea just to get it rolling so you can move it.

Amandaz
09-17-2011, 08:03 PM
I plan on jacking it up tomorrow since im gonna put my stocks back on, so ill take a look at it then. I did however spray half a cans worth of WD 40 on both rear drums in preparation for it and hope that it somewhat does the trick. The Brake light did show up as constant even though i put the ebrake down, since for the last 2 years the ebrake has been on, so youre most likely right about frozen brakes. Im thankful enough that all the electrical works even though its been sitting there a while but my Optima yellow top looks to be on a quarter of its last leg and will need to be replaced. Oh how stoked i was when everything actually functioned still! My only quirk about it at the moment is that... a lot and i do mean a lot of spiders decided to make a nice apartment out of my car so I will be a nice bit of grossed out when I have to go shoo them out tomorrow after i get home from work :/

350rs
09-17-2011, 08:59 PM
shop vac will make quick work of those guys :)

Starglow
09-18-2011, 09:43 AM
It's hard to get spray penetration fluids inside the drums where it will do any good. You're going to have to jack the car up and take the wheels off. Then take a mallet and smack the drums all around their circumference to try and knock the brake shoes free of the inner drum area.

If that doesn't free the brake drums then you'll need to pull them off the car which may require a jaw puller to break them free. If that's the case then you could be looking at replacing the brake shoes and the brake drums.

If you use a jaw puller, make sure you put the lug nuts on the studs and leave about 1/4 to 1/2 inch stud gap between the lug nuts and the drum. This will keel the drum from flying off when it finally breaks free and you should hear it pop when that happens.

Good luck!

Amandaz
09-18-2011, 02:21 PM
As far as I know my drums are the original ones that came with the car, so I honestly wouldnt shed a tear if I had to just replace them which I think im just going to do anyway and mightaswell clear up any potential problems while the car is at the shop.

Nick-G
09-18-2011, 03:08 PM
If your parking brake has been on for two years its possible the cable is frozen in place not allowing the brakes to release.

Amandaz
09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
If it helps some, my brakes were working for the front as I was able to stop and easily drive my car forward down the incline that is my second driveway, and both front wheels spun around flawlessly, just both rears werent moving at all.

AaronGTR
09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Ah, your parking brake was on... yeah that's another story then. I agree with Nick. Your parking brakes are probably rusted in place.

bricooper78
09-18-2011, 09:46 PM
PB Blaster is great. We've been using it on fire engines from the late 40's... I will only use WD40 for sticker removal from here on out

*little product plug for your rusty part removal assistance* lol