Won't start - battery full, have gas? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Won't start - battery full, have gas?

Luke L
09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I bought a 2002 grand am gt about 2 months ago to get back and fourth from college. After I had it for a week, it randomly wouldn't start. It doesn't even try to crank over (like when your battery is low). The battery is full, all lights work (not dim), and it has gas. I've tested the starter, it works fine. The first time this happened, all I had to do is clean the battery terminals with a wire brush real good to get a better connection, and it started up fine.

Recently it's happening again. This time, I cleaned everything, from the battery terminals, to the starter connections, and I even re grounded the battery to a different spot.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I tried to start it even by using a wire on the starter, nothing works. When I turn the key, it makes no noise what so ever :/.

Thanks in advance for your time!,

- Luke

Luke L
09-18-2011, 01:00 PM
darn, looks like no one knows :(

KillNThrill24
09-19-2011, 03:42 PM
gotta have patience my friend there arent as many ppl on this site as others that i belong to (like ls1tech.com). but eventually someone will respond lol they always do.

but onto your problem. i have the same exact one in my camaro, and its actually not getting a good connection from the pos/neg wires. i turn the key, it clicks and does nothing then the lights come back on after i let go of the key. (sound familar?) i pop the hood and get out and wiggle my neg cable a little bit, then usually it starts. neg cables are fairly easy to bypass and run your own cables (pos are too) so i would start by wiggling the cables around and double and triple check to make sure your terminals are clean. that WILL cause problems.

if all else fails take it to autozone and get the battery checked. if its not the battery someone there may be smart enough to tell you whats wrong (i question the usefulness of the autozone guys by me lol)

KillNThrill24
09-19-2011, 03:45 PM
ALSO a side note: when your car is out of gas the car WILL crank.

bricooper78
09-19-2011, 07:45 PM
1st question to ask:

do you have SECURITY blinking on your dashboard when it won't start?

bricooper78
09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
2nd question: (we're going to assume it's not security)

have you made sure the connections to the starter are okay? check that for corrosion also.

then let us know where you're at with it