bad bearing or bad ac compressor? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : bad bearing or bad ac compressor?

gaby04
09-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I have been noticing a rattle noise coming from the a/c compressor. It noise comes on when i turn ON the compressor but goes away when if turn it OFF. I removed the passenger tire and the plastic on the wheel well to access the a/c compressor. I can hear the noise coming from the compressor area. The a/c is working perfectly

Is this a bad ac clutch or something bad inside the compressor?

here is a video of the noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcdsNxivqE

AaronGTR
09-20-2011, 04:24 PM
There is an electromagnetically activated clutch that engages and disengages the pulley on the A/C compressor to turn it on or off. It could be the clutch wearing out, or a problem with the harness and getting low power to the clutch which would cause partial activation.

It's hard to say with the sound quality, but I'd hazard a guess that sound is more likely from the compressor itself. Does it sound kind of like marbles bouncing around inside an empty bottle? That's what the compressor sounded like on my old grand prix when it went bad.

Jer23
09-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Mine just started making this nose this mourning. Of course just changed the heater core yesterday and now this. I'm assuming changing te entire unit is th only way? Can I just replace the clutch?

326 000kms and counting.............

Jer

KillNThrill24
09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
my A/C has been gone for years and everynow and then ill kick it on to see if for some odd miracle it works and it makes that noise that Aaron mentioned. you can turn the A/C on, pop the hood and listen real close by the compressor and tell that its the compressor itself.. sometimes.

traysvega
10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
You could also take the serp belt off the compressor and try and feel movement back and fourth,side to side to determine if the bearing is shot.I've replaced several bearings,clutch coils etc.Common for the compressors to take a dump also.

chris_gt_74
10-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I had a compressor go bad on my old Grand Prix 3.1. Mine was making a clattering kind of sound that varied in loudness and pitch. Yours sounds similar but not as bad as mine was. I was told it is a pressure valve or something and was not repairable. I think is the same valve responsible for cutting off the compressor at high rpm's or under heavy acceleration.