Random Starting Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Random Starting Problems

alex111683
09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
My 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT (85,000 miles) wouldn't start. I have left it at the mechanics twice all day so they could turn it on throughout the day. The car never acted up.

When the car does act up, it will crank just fine but it wont "catch" and stay on. Sometimes it skips cranks, if that makes sense, but it will start. Sometimes I have to crank longer and will eventually start. Most of the time I have to step on the gas a little bit, while cranking, to start it.

The car has had a tune-up less than 500 miles ago (fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, pcv valve, fuel filter.)

Today something new happened. I went to start the car and it did it's usual crank and not start. When I went to start it again, the car was completely dead. No cranking, no dash lights, nothing whatsoever! I sat there and called the wife to pick me up. As the phone was ringing I noticed the gauges (speedometer, gas, rpm, temperature) all max out and then come back to zero. Almost like they reset. I decided to try to turn it on again, and the car started right up.

Also the battery is basically brand new and terminals are clean and secure.

I am at my wits end. Has anyone gone through the same thing? Or a Mechanic who has fixed/found the problem? Please help.

350rs
09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
check your grounds as far as the lights.

but starting, next time its acting up pay attention to the security light, if its flashing thats the problem. Might try taking the IAC off and cleaning the pentle and seat. Make sure they are free of carbon. Hard to test them for movement. I know there is a way, but i dont know it. I just know that you do NOT move that thing. no matter what.

FuriousG
09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a loose or bad connection somewhere. I would check the ignition switch for corroded contacts or a pinched wire somewhere. Have you done any work under the steering column or center dash lately? Also check for loose/corroded connections to the starter and alternator.

alex111683
09-26-2011, 08:58 PM
I have done barely anything on this car. I purchased it 3/2010. It has a pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD navigation system. I don't know much about cars other than how to change my oil or a battery. I did replace the hazard switch a couple weeks ago because it stopped working unless I wiggled it a little bit and then would just randomly start clicking. There has been a recall because the switch seems to fail on these cars. I replaced the switch and it worked fine but the clicking never stopped.

I don't want to dare mess with the pioneer system, there's a ton of wires to that thing. From the answers it seems like it's a ground issue or corroded connection? Seems like it might be hard to find since there's so many.

I'm sorry but it seems like I'm not much help. I greatly appreciate all replies.

icecats87
09-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Sounds like my car a week ago, would just crank and crank, The security light was flashing so i did the relearn. go to crank then leave in the "on" position until lights solid, turn off then start it. it was caused by a bad battery. Didnt think it was the battery cause i bought it 8 months ago but sure enough the battery was dead.

alex111683
09-26-2011, 09:43 PM
I bought the battery in May and the sticker on it says 4/11. So its basically a brand new battery. I have heard of this era GM cars having battery problems. So basically I have to get a new battery every 6 months? The person who sold me the car told me he had to replace the battery every year or two for some reason. He used the red top deep cycle batteries and I thought it was the brand of battery that was just giving me problems so I just switched to a normal one.

And when I have the issue, the security light has never come on.