Rear brake upgrade [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake upgrade

FunkZ
10-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Just upgraded my fronts to 98+ Fbody calipers and 00+ Wbody rotors. Now my question is there a similar low-cost brake upgrade for the rear?

Reason I ask, I'm getting some uneven wear on my rear rotors/pads, they only seem to be making contact in the very center, and the outer and inner edge of the rotor surface is rusty and untouched. The pads are a bit low, probably less than an eighth remaining, and I noticed the pistons are extended quite a bit and the whole caliper seems to have some wiggle. Before I go out and buy some new pads though I wanted to ask if there was something better out there.

TIA

AaronGTR
10-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Not really. I've heard grand prix GXP calipers and discs will fit, but not with the stock bracket. I think they need a custom bracket. Those wouldn't be cheap either and are more brake than you need with just the minor front upgrade. It would be best to keep stock size rears and keep the proper brake balance. I would just get some powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads, and braided lines for all four corners if you don't have them already.

FunkZ
10-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks, just ordered some replacement pads, hopefully that resolves it.

I do think the rear disc/drum setup a bit strange, owned plenty of other cars with rear discs that used the calipers for e-brake too.

hahano404
10-03-2011, 10:18 AM
if wearing wierdly. cut or replace rotors

hahano404
10-03-2011, 10:19 AM
cut regardless if not replacing rotors

shiwnath
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Read the second post here:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33676

AaronGTR
10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
So the GXP rears fit brackets and all? That's cool. I'll have to keep that in mind for when my rear pads and powerslot rotors need to be replaced. I wonder if my braided lines will bolt up to the GXP calipers or not though? I guess if stock lines will then they probably would, and since the rears only go up and down and not side to side like the fronts you probably have some more forgiveness for different line lengths. And since I already have 17" wheels and 13" front brakes I shouldn't have to worry about wheel clearance or brake balance.

see below V :ah yes, e-brake function... that is a good question.

FunkZ
10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
It looks like the GXP calipers have provisions for attaching the e-brake cable. Do the GXP rotors work with the stock brake shoe? or will the stock cable attach to the new caliper and the shoe setup can be ditched?

I doubt I'd go this route due to price but just for future knowledge.

Malaclypse
10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
As long as the e-brake cables are long enough to reach the lever on the GXP calipers, you can make it work.

All GM e-brakes work on the same principle so its just a matter of getting the cable properly attatched at the caliper and e-brake lever.