Is there a 3400 Starter replacement how-to? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 3400 Starter replacement how-to?

AaronGAGT
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I've searched and can only find 4 cylinder related threads for replacing. Does anyone have a link for any kind of how-to or tutorial either from here or somewhere else on the net?

bricooper78
10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Replacing the starter ain't bad, the top bolt is hidden, kinda IIRC, I found it on here, or the "bad" ga site, no pics but it even had what sizes you need.

i would answer better, but that dam*ed avatar of yours distracts me every time you post

**edit

Okay, found the thread i'd posted in, the back bolt is underneath that little black plastic cover, it's that flywheel cover or some such nonsense... anyways, it is possible to get to the bolt without removing that plastic shield, but take it from the fat guy who was there, remove it! it will make your life so much less terrible!

aside of that, bolts run straight up into the motor, no fuss, no muss!

icecats87
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I know there is one bolt that's easy to get to right after you jack up the car. The other bolt back towards the motor is tough.

You can fit a wrench on it but really have no grip to get it off. I found a way to fit a 1/2in drive in there which broke the bolt loose right away.

This is how i made room. My starter was shot and was going back to the store so i could get my core fee back. I removed the two bolts (circled in the picture, arrow points to other side) And that whole black thing comes off. This made a bunch of room and got a 1/2in drive in

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y336/dvero1727/486589.jpg?t=1317605976

AaronGAGT
10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

@coop, is it just the 1 screw that holds on the inspection cover? I took it off, but not sure how the cover comes off ?

@dylan, when you remove those 2 bolts and the black part, does it go back together with no problems?

icecats87
10-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

@coop, is it just the 1 screw that holds on the inspection cover? I took it off, but not sure how the cover comes off ?

@dylan, when you remove those 2 bolts and the black part, does it go back together with no problems?

It can yeah, when i did my tranny i removed the starter, i didnt know how it came off and took those 2 bolts off =/ there are gears inside but it is kind of hard to get back together perfectly, if your gonna use the same starter I wouldn't recommend it. I only did it because i had a new one. And for the new one i got it pretty tight with just a 3/8th driver and wrench

bricooper78
10-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I think there was a bottom and also a side screw on there, or it was one screw and then it was the wiggle it off, had a catch on it, kind of like your electrical connectors, that little lip that catches to hold it in place. i did mine about a year and a half ago, if i had a garage i'd have put mine up in the air and got you some pics, i just am not 100% sure man, i'm sorry