Electrical/Battery/Not starting issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Electrical/Battery/Not starting issues

icecats87
10-05-2011, 12:11 AM
I cant figure it out. A few weeks ago the car wouldnt start and it would just crank and crank. The security light was flashing so i did the relearn process and after the car started and ran fine. Then a few days later the battery kept dying overnight. I bought a new battery and it was fine for a week or so. Now I go to start the car, with the key everything works fine. Every light radio etc. I go to crank it and everything just just off and if i crank it nothing at all happens. 30 seconds later ago every light will turn on and i try to crank it and everything dies again.

Now my ignition lock cylinder is going out. for awhile now i haven't been able to just turn the key. I have to wiggle it back and forth while turning a few times to be able to turn it. And lately its taken up to 5 minutes to even get the key to turn, would this cause all these problems? if now what is going on! =(

icecats87
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Bump, anyone!?!? :(

Starglow
10-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I cant figure it out. A few weeks ago the car wouldnt start and it would just crank and crank. The security light was flashing so i did the relearn process and after the car started and ran fine. Then a few days later the battery kept dying overnight. I bought a new battery and it was fine for a week or so. Now I go to start the car, with the key everything works fine. Every light radio etc. I go to crank it and everything just just off and if i crank it nothing at all happens. 30 seconds later ago every light will turn on and i try to crank it and everything dies again.

Now my ignition lock cylinder is going out. for awhile now i haven't been able to just turn the key. I have to wiggle it back and forth while turning a few times to be able to turn it. And lately its taken up to 5 minutes to even get the key to turn, would this cause all these problems? if now what is going on! =(

Could be.... a lot of things are electrically tied into the ignition switch. On my Volvo you could just replace the ignition electrical switch piece that was bolted to the back of the mechanical ignotion, but I'm not sure if the GA is that way or not....never had to deal with it on a GA.

icecats87
10-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Now, i forgot to add when i would go to crank and all light shut off, once the lights came on and power in the car the radio settings were reset. Just as if you unplugged the battery. Could it just be the terminals for the battery?

I bought new side mount battery terminals at work, also got a new ignition lock cylinder just because mine is locking up every time, going to check the were from the starter to alternator too i read that my cause the battery to die. But would that cause the problems where lights would work, after i crank it everything shuts off for a min,re crank it everything dies again?

icecats87
10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
The new terminals fixed it for not, will see in the morning but it turns over and starts fine. Tuesday night when i tried to crank it thats when everything died. I didnt touch the car until today and when i opened door lights turned on so i knew battery wasn't dead. Also got the ignition switch in and working good. Only thing i cant figure out is why my ERLS fuse keeps blowing?

I think thats the name the engine lights on and throws a P0443 and P0449 code. this happened when i replaced tranny i put a new fuse it fixed it. When i finished header install same codes, fuse was blown put a new one in and again the fuse is blown