PDA

View Full Version : 94 grand am gt many problems

450rracer185
10-13-2011, 02:41 PM
new to the fourm so i guess im posting in the right spot if not move it\

94 grand am gt sport 2dr

idles at 2k all the time hot cold windy raining all the time
any ides on the problem and were to look

and it runs like crap at 2k while driving if the service engine light is off but if its on it runs very well
anything will help
thanks

street_fire
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
whens the last time u did a tune up or a service on the car...

hahano404
10-13-2011, 03:07 PM
check tps. or clean the top end.

450rracer185
10-13-2011, 05:48 PM
whens the last time u did a tune up or a service on the car...

probably a long time ago

i have checked the tps on the throttle body it doesnt help the idleing

idk how to check for air leaks

many be ill do a complete service soon at my auto tech class

Lab Rat
10-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Vac line is cheap at the auto parts store. Maybe a buck a foot. Over time it will rot out. Look over the rubber lines very carefully. Remove them for inspection. Many times the line will break or split when you do this. Good reason to have the new line in hand to cut and fit. I keep a couple of different sizes in the garage

Another way to find leaks is to spray starter fluid around all connections. Often, but not always, the engine idle will increase when the fluid finds the vac leak.

I would also spray fluid around the throttle body and connections. A bad TB gasket can cause problems.

And a complete tune up never hurts. new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, new PCV (not sure if your car has one) and fresh oil and filter are regular maintenance and should be done regularly.

I think on your car you will need a paper clip to check for service engine code. Search for how to do this, been along time since I have done this.

Post again if you need more help. I wish I could do shop class to work on my car.