Felpro Severe Duty HST9071PT-1 Which Side Up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Felpro Severe Duty HST9071PT-1 Which Side Up

Pontiac_grandam
10-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading up on some threads for a little while, I am currently in the middle of a head gasket replacement on my 1999 Grand Am Se (3400) I have already disassembled and cleaned everything along with replace valve seals, injector seals and valve cover grommets etc.

I am ready to start putting everything back together now, except I'm a little stuck on the orientation of the head gaskets themselves. I purchased the HST9071PT set. Both gaskets look identical. There is a blue striped side and a black side with a felpro stamp and what looks like a bolt stamp. Can someone please tell me which side is up and which way they go? I want to make sure before torquing everything down, the last thing i want to do is have to redo the job. Blue stripe side up or down and tabs towards or away from intake.

Thank you in advance

AaronGTR
10-19-2011, 04:31 PM
I used the same Felpro severe duty head gaskets on my car. If I recall correctly the logo side went up. Easy way to tell is the fire ring (around the cylinder bores). It is a metal band that's folded over the other layers of the gasket, and the wider side usually goes against the cylinder head. Front and rear are the same so both gaskets will look identical and are interchangeable.

Pontiac_grandam
10-19-2011, 09:40 PM
"Blue side up, towards the intake, black side towards the block."

This is the reply I got from the other Grand Am forum