Car seems to be running hot, should i be concerned? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car seems to be running hot, should i be concerned?

rizer
10-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Hey guys, wanna get your opinion. Everytime i get out of my car after its warmed up, it has that burning type of smell like its running hot. What concerns me is while the car is running, the needle is always dead in the center. Only when i turn the car off and get back in the car 5-10 minutes, the temp gauge seems to be 20 or so degree's hotter and goes down fairly quickly once the fans come on or i start driving. I guess i will mentioned maybe once or twice before, the temp has climped slightly while at a idle.

Do I need to be concerned? Im just more concerned with the burning smell outside the car after its turned off. Did perform a coolant flush roughly 6 months ago.

Thanks for the input!

ioseida
10-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Probably normal, usually our GA's tend to run hot a little over half at times..specially in traffic mine usually goes about 2-3 lines above mid point.. The burn smell maybe oil leak or something if it smells like burnt oil..just monitors ur fuild levels, smell might be a residue of something..

burgett2103
10-29-2011, 12:50 PM
^that

350rs
10-29-2011, 07:37 PM
your temp is going to be hotter after you shut it off and turn it back on a few mins later. That block is still hot and just heats the coolant in the engine up a bit more than when its running. Once you start it back up it introduces cooler coolant into the engine and it will cool things off in a hurry. Also it will climb at a idle simply because its not running air over the radiator and engine. All of what you mentioned is totally normal for any car.

Look for any kind of leaks anywhere on the block. Could be the smell your getting. But i wouldnt worry about the temp of the car. Sounds like its doing fine.